Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

View Poll Results: What do you use for outdoor music
Powered speakers with iPod. 3 8.11%
I turn up my indoor stereo really high (11). 0 0%
Boombox with CDs or Radio. 4 10.81%
Wireless outdoor speakers 6 16.22%
Wired outdoor speakers (I planned ahead). 20 54.05%
Other (let us know). 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Outdoor Music

I use a set of wireless speakers hooked up to an old stereo receiver that is in the garage. I can connect either an iPod or my Sirius radio.

One thing that I have found is that the 900MHz systems are not near as good as the 2.4GHz ones. Their range is much better and worth the extra money.

J W
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Journeyman

Thats strange ... I did vote in the pole yesterday and saw the result... Today it was as if i never voted, so of course I voted again lol. Technology aint all it's cracked up to be sometimes lol.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Master Builder

I am putting an amp in my outdoor kitchen with a weatherproof jack for my ipod.

I use wireless speakers right now and they work just ok for me - too much popping some days.... so my vote counted as wireless

I found an amp intended to be for transmitting audio over home 60 hz wiring - and there is an easy hack to make it easy to plug your ipod in and bypass the 60 hz wiring thing. It's working great so far.

$15 Radio Shack Amp that kicks - the Accurian - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

It should also work well to amp up Karoke nights at the Pizza oven!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Laborer

I've got wired outdoor speakers under the deck (this picture is before the pool got put in)

I have the radio hooked up in the basement to a PC hosting all my music, interfacing through a regular old amp. I can access XM radio online or listen to internet radio from there as well.

(the dog actually had a squirrel cornered up above the speaker, she doesn't care much about the music)
Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Journeyman

Bacon Grease:

"His Masters Voice" Nipper, the RCA dog.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Laborer

Here is the terrified rodent!

and the aformentioned speaker
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Outdoor Music

Yeh, been putting a little thought to this very topic.
I'm not sure just how I am to arrange the 'mood music' or quiet background music (I hate loud music that is not to my liking and usually controlled by other people)in the new outdoor kitchen.
I have a good stereo system in the lounge room (around 10 metres away), that is rarely used as it is a rather formal room which is hard wired to the old patio (new outdoor kitchen area).
I will check out suitable speakers for mounting up under the house eaves and leave the music low. Rather than keep the old stereo background speakers (as I normally have trouble disposing of working things), I smashed them to prevent their re-use in the new area.
Decisions to be made further down the track.
I am running all of the electrical cable within the hollow steel trusses and purlins and need to include speaker wires if they are to be mounted on the roof.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Journeyman

if you do not plan on blasting the neighborhood telephone wire works great and comes with several color coded pairs depending on size wire you use.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Outdoor Music

Hi Travis,
good to see you back up on deck. I hope that all goes well for you.
I'm feeling a little down at the moment as I have just returned from a mates 23 year old's funeral, dying from complications and a very aggressive form of leukemia.
I have two figure 8 wires running to the patio whick powered the older speakers.
The new ones once decided on type, size etc. will be located in the same spot and will do the job admirably.
I started a new post when you were off channel with the new patio commencement. See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

as I keep it up to date each week with any progress.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

I am a bit late to this thread and poll, and I have not even poured the slab for my outdoor kitchen, but I installed wired outdoor speakers on my back patio with a receiver/CD player just to have music while I was installing the fence around the pool

I intend to move the audio equipment under cover in the outdoor kitchen, which will be separated from the house/patio, so it will be the hub of outdoor audio. From there I will run speaker wired underground in conduit to a zone with the existing pair of speakers on the patio and to a zone for speakers around the pool (rocks?). Since my entire kitchen will be covered, mounting the speakers in there will be easy.

Still fleshing out ideas, driving stakes in the yard, and drawing pictures, but I intend to plan where everything will be, including speakers, walkways and flower beds prior to the start so that I can run electical, water, speaker, and sprinkler lines before any slabs or stone walks are in place (and while all the plumbing and electrical locations that were put in for the pool are still fresh in my mind!).

Travis n'Texas