Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Thanks Lee, if i can do it, anyone can. Hopefully it has cooled off in DFW. Time for a countertop??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscar,

I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? I am going to overhang the counter from the hearth base 2", beyond ladder wire and adding polyp fibers, do you recommend any additional steel since you are the concrete guru.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Slice some scrap firebrick to the right depth and use them for shims under the wire. Bonding agent is always good.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a related question on this topic, is it possible or am I off base.

I would like to pour a concrete prep table but really like working dough on granite.

Is it possible to combine the two? A concrete counter with a recessed granite piece embeded in the concrete at the same finish level.

If I did this would I pour the counter first and leave a void for the granite placing it in afterward with thinset and grouting around the seam, or would I pour the counter with the granite embeded in the wet concrete?

Or some other method? Thanks

Granite/Concrete counter being considered is the one on the left of photo

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-img_0958.jpg  

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-13-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added Photo
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post

....I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? ....
One way is to have the wire and or rebar precut, and tied. Depending on the size counter, you might need some help to place it. Fill the form to the depth that you want the reinforcement placed, insert the steel, and finish the pour.

One word of warning: If your concrete is too wet, and you pour 1/2 way up your outside bands, there will be a distinct line between the two pours (even if it is just a few minutes).

If your concrete is the perfect consistency, it will be firm enough to press into the bands to make a "wet form" to house the second pour.

For a "poured in place", the line between the two pours can easily be blended with screeding and floating. If it is an "upside down" pour, no problems .
"
Just another way to skin a cat" .

Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the granite will be flush with the countertop, you should use a blockout when placing the concrete, then just let the granite float, no need to thinset it down. The issue would be the depth of your counter top, if it is 3/4" concrete, you would need at least 3" of high strength concrete to inset it.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If the granite will be flush with the countertop, you should use a blockout when placing the concrete, then just let the granite float, no need to thinset it down. The issue would be the depth of your counter top, if it is 3/4" concrete, you would need at least 3" of high strength concrete to inset it.
Clarification please: Did you mean 3/4 inch granite? And I already have a 4 inch thick slab with #4 rebar in it I will be pouring over. so in that case it is another layer over an existing 4 inch slab.

I was thinking of using a 2 inch pour and creating a 2 inch bull nose formed from split PVC pipe. I have done this before for my pool coping and it worked out well.

I was unable to make a nice looking corner in sketchup but this is how i see the inset piece of granite.

Chip
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-counter.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Tscar,

I am thinking of using ladder wire for my 2" concrete counter. How do you suspend the wire at the right depth? I am going to overhang the counter from the hearth base 2", beyond ladder wire and adding polyp fibers, do you recommend any additional steel since you are the concrete guru.
Russell
here is my "redneck" solution for the suspension of the wire rebar in the pic. It worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012d.jpg  

Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tscar/Tex,

Thanks for the ideas, forming today so will get an idea of how to layout ladder wire. Tex, did not want to hijack your thread on the kitchen.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Master Builder

No problemo, Hijack away. I think it is cool. Makes me feel special. Ahhhhh.