Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Tracy,

In my research on polished concrete countertops, I saw a YouTube video by Buddy Rhodes and it showed how he addressed fill in the edges of a poured in place concrete counter. Maybe this will help. Playing with fire blaming the SWMBO

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Master Builder

yea, i watched ole Buddy on you tube also, and feng tu(cant remember the name). Not sure i am using the right stuff, but i remember Buddy had some big voids in his edges as well. So i expected them. Good thing the wife doesn't check the forum. She did great really. I think it will turn out good. I am surprised that i have already exposed some aggregate with the light sanding i did. Good news is the aggregated has lots of color and will look good, bad news is 30' sq ft of it. I don't really want a polished and gleaming surface. It wouldn't fit with the rest of my kitchen and would look odd next to the flagstone counters i think.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

Been working on the counters and backsplash. Almost there on the bar i think.
just a few small voids on the edge to patch and i think it is ready for seal coat.
Got the flagstone backsplash in. Still trying to decide what to do for the oven finish so i left that undone for now. I had a large void in the flagstone next to the sideburner unit that i filled with mortar an i need to do some dress up around the plug. 2x cedar veneer will cover the posts and hide most of the ugly concrete. I think it will look good once the finish is on and stays looking wet.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082712a.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082712b.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082712c.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082712d.jpg  

Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman View Post
Been working on the counters and backsplash. Almost there on the bar i think....... I think it will look good once the finish is on and stays looking wet.
Tracy
Tracy,
It is looking great! I've seen the looking in angle, but with the behind the bar shot (looking back toward the gate and fence) Awesome . I can see my self saddling up to a bar like that . I think that you will have a blast intertaining with with that set up.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great, seal it then wax the sealer, wax is easier to redo than sealer.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Gulf. I hope Isaac behaves and doesn't cause you any grief. Any time your ready, come saddle up to the bar and i will serve the beverages of your choosing. I can kinda see the light at the end of the tunnel, but trying to trudge slowly. The flashing will be here today, so back to the oven for me.

Tom
Again, Thanks for all your help on this. I think it turned out good. Only regrets is the outside exposed edge. I could spend more time on it, but i don't think it would produce any better result. The acrylic concrete patch is the right stuff i think for that. It gets hard and will polish somewhat. The dry concrete patch w/o acrylic that i bought after i ran out of the good stuff just disappeared when i tried to sand and smooth. I used my orbital sander on the top and for about 3 passes and sprayed water to keep wet with regular 80 grit sanding pads. I used 100 grit disc pad on the edge. No diamond pads on any of the sanding. I have minimal exposed aggregate from the sanding and gives it some interest to look at.

Any advice on what sealer and wax? you knew i would ask. especially wax; never thought about that.
Tracy

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Here is the counter with a couple of coats of finish that i brushed on last night. I am very pleased with the outcome and have lots of dough left in the pocket for sure compared to granite or paying to get this done!
It isn't perfect, but i think it is almost perfect fit for my kitchen and other materials. Thanks again Tom.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-083112a.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-083112e.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-083112c.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-083112d.jpg  

Old 09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Serf

Looks great, IMHO. I'll be doing my countertops, too (also 30 square feet, but deep and not as long...it'll be around the oven and BBQ countertop area). I'll also be doing the same finish for the cap and seating area of my gas firepit. Oh...did I mention I've never done it before. I've been watching yours intently, and I think it turned out great.

My delima right now is there are soooo many different options for finishes with a concrete countertop that I don't know what I want (just a general color). Exposed or not exposed aggregate, polished or not, stained or colored or both, types of concrete and additives, etc. It's a bit overwhelming.

Thanks, though, for the chronicles.
Bill~
Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Bill. That was my first rodeo too. If you don't have a cantilever, it will be easier to do. The ingredients were all HD/Lowes except for the pencil rod, which makes it nice. The color is brown and i used 1 bottle per bag. I mixed a bottle of red over the five bags, but i cant see it. Mine was really simple for the pour and finish and didn't take a huge amount of time. I wanted something that "fit" my kitchen and the polished finish would not have worked for me. That is my story or maybe i am ready to drink at the bar and be done working on it. You need to decide the color and can get the finish you want depending on the amount of grinding and polishing you are up for. I would do some test pours to decide what you really want and to get a feel for it. To me, the edges are the most difficult to form, pour and finish. So be sure and work those edges and vibrate, tap, retap vibrate. I think a slightly wetter mix there helps, (especially if it is supported underneath. Let me know if i can help. Tom Scarborough really helped me. Start a thread and you will get all the help you will need.
Tracy

Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up I have the bug!

Tracy, that counter top looks so good that I'm considering doing something similar.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.