Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

I poured my counters (thanks to Tom) Went well i think. Going to have some work on the edges, but that is to be expected. My forms had some movement and didn't keep my curve as well as i hoped. Should have braced it more.

Anyway here it is.
120' of 1/4' rebar, 16 x 1/4" tapcons imbedded at least 2.5" to hold the tipping force(i hope) 5 bags of maximizer concrete, Bonding agent, fiber and 5 bottles brown stain with 1 bottle of red through the mix. Used the expanding foam to fill gaps around that center post and the back edge. That was a surprise. I worked the gap as it cured and it held the back edge in place! Lots of trowel work! the mix was hard to work but finally got the aggregate pushed down and smooth. I like the color. I have it covered in plastic to cure.
How long to cure and when should the edge forms come off? I think the vertical support should stay there a while? Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012a.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012d.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012f.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012e.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012c.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Master Builder

here are the results so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012g.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012h.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012i.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082012j.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tex,

That is a serious belly up to the bar counter. Watching with alot of interest since I am going to pour a concrete counter over my existing hearth and polish. Great job.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Master Builder

thanks Russell. LOTS of work. Good luck on the polished concrete. I like that look, but with this much real estate to cover, i am hoping that i can make this work as is. If not, i will be polishing a while.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The plastic may cause discoloration if it has bubbles or wrinkles in it, but it will polish out. Keep it wet for a couple of days at least.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Master Builder

tom
i put some boards supported by the form to keep the plastic off the finished concrete. seemed to work ok. Just spray it lightly to keep wet?how often on the spraying?
How long on the cure for the vertical support? I figure i can take the edge forms off this evening or should i leave it all together for now?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow! Looks great. That is one long bar. Are you going to cut some joints into it?

I am still deciding on concrete or granite for my BBQ counter. I have a access to a "free" piece of granite slab - but free is in quotes because I'd still have to pay for the transport, cut, and install. May still go with concrete.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Master Builder

dang it. I knew i forgot something. meant to put one at the center by those posts. I am sure it will crack there. I should probably cut one tonight.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just cut one, it will look better anyway. You can take the face-form off anytime, but do not pull it directly away from the face, slide it along the face.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Master Builder

My edges don't look as good as i hoped and will need lots of work or maybe even veneered with brick or something. I am blaming the wife. i was mixing and pouring and she was placing along the edges. I used my sander to vibrate edges and bottom for air removal. I think my mix was a little dry. I am going to try and use the patch compound and color to make pretty edges. i used some of the patch compound uncolored to test since it will take multiple layers to get the right finish. The inside edge will get a flagstone covering as a small backsplash.
I did some hand sanding on a few areas and have already exposed some aggregate. So, do i sand try for polished or a troweled and sanded finish. Still keeping it wet with the towels.
Tracy
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082212a.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082212b.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082212c.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082212f.jpg   Outdoor kitchen in Texas-082212g.jpg  

Last edited by texman; 08-22-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: add more pics