Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

i think you are right on the crack in the middle. I plan to add corbels made from brick to try and give more support to the pour. I will try and find the maximizer, fibers and bonding agent. I thought the fibers would be visible in the finish so weren't usually used? Which fibers? glass?
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The maximiser and bonding agent at HD or Lowes, sometimes they have the fibers, usually not. Glass doesn't play well with cement, the fibers are polyethylene/nylon and do not give the hairy look like the glass ones did (plus if there are any standing up you can either shave them or melt them off.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

These guys will have everything you need (except the Maximiser, it will be cheaper at the big box):

Amarillo Branch - CMC Construction Services Houston, Texas USA CMC Construction Services

Also, never use lath in concrete, the holes are not big enough and it creates a failure plane.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Tracy,

Thank you so much for your post. I am loving your outdoor space. In regards to the ceiling predicament, we recommend a clearance of 14" from the top of the chimney pipe to ANY combustibles. I hope that this helps your decision.

Amber
Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Master Builder

Smile Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I just called CMC, they do not have the fibers but they DO have pencil rod, 1/4 x 20', that would work fine in your counter.

For the fibers, I called Golden Spread redi-mix on Van Buren, they sell bags of fibers for 12 bucks.
Dude! Thanks for the legwork! Much appreciated!
What kind of spacing on the rod?
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

One rod the length of the front of the counter, 1-1/2" from the face (carry rods through any joint), another 3 inch back from that, then 8-12" OC long ways. 8-12" OC front to back, ending at least 1-1/2" from the face. If you were to bend the wire in shallow arcs back and forth it would be even better since it is slick rod.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Master Builder

Question Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

I got 5 bags of the maximizer which should be 5 cu ft. I need around 4.5 cu ft. I was thinking you said i needed acrylic modifier but i reread and see bonding agent. The bonding agent is just a coating for the permabase board , correct? I will get the fiber and rod probably wednesday. Any idea how much fiber i would need for this pour?
Any thoughts on the corbels and spacing?
Tracy

Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is the same, it can be painted on as a surface bonder or added to the mix water as an integral bonder. You want to mix it as an integral bonding agent, the ratio of water to bonding agent depends upon the particular product as they come in various concentrations.

A small handful of fiber per bag of concrete, a normal bag is good for 1 CuYd of concrete (1.5# bag), for the corbeling I don't know without seeing how you are doing the base.

Last edited by Tscarborough; 08-13-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Tex,

See you have another thread. From what I have seen on your oven build the kitchen will turn out great too. Probably driving you nuts while you wait for your vent pipe. Going to watch with interest on your concrete counters. Thinking of doing something like it on the base of my build.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log