Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Outdoor kitchen finished!

The sink was 2 big clams at the flea market. The shape is excellent and it has the small mason marks from when it was carved.

When I bought it, the seller hit it with a hammer and the "ring" was incredible.

Took three people to put it in the car....and I've got an appointment scheduled with the chiropracter....

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Jim,
Does that mean you bartered the sink for two clams?? In modern currency, how much was it? I'm thinking of become a marble sink tycoon. LOL.
James

Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Master Builder

Heading South gives me "That Sinking Feeling"
Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, the sink was 'used'....I cleaned a little cement off one side and will still be cleaning the outside to remove a little more cement and some paint on the front.

These types of hand made things are pretty common around Spain but are starting to bring higher prices. This was 190 Euros which is about $250. A friend who has a father-in-law in the flea market business said I paid too much (double) but we liked it. Prices can be all over the place here. A lot of the old sinks here are stone and more rustic looking. This one was nicely squared with good proportions.

I've been shocked at what they are asking for some items in the antique stores here. We have three favorite Rastro's nearby (flea markets) in Jalon, Pedruguer and La Nucia. We often leave with nothing but other days find a treasure or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen finished!-stone-sink.jpg  

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Jim,
We were this close to buying two old walnut chairs at the antique store in Jalon, but didn't -- and Carrie still brings it up years later, "we should have bought those and had them shipped." Oh well.

I have started looking for a company that makes news marble sinks. We have a friend through the school who owns a business here, and he says that Italian stone working equipment and technology is the best in the world. Could be fun.

One last comment. The sunlight in your outdoor kitchen photos is great. What a great time to be on the Costa Blanca. It looks perfect.
James

Last edited by james; 04-02-2007 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 PM

These are fairly standard, if pricy, high end bath accessories. Here's one in travertine that looks like what we are talking about:

stone sink

Of course it doesn't have that ancient look, but a few years outside should fix that.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Darn, I thought we were the first. It is a little pricey at $750 delivered.

I have been thinking about how you make things look older. Our kitchen cabinets are an "old" English design, and they are distressed with wear, worm holes, etc. Perhaps you could distress a marble (or travertine) sink. I get the impression that these are new world, not old.

Enjoy your weekend David. Is the snow melting?
James

Old 04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Outdoor sinks

Wow - that travertine sink looks fabulous! It reminds me of a marble sink at a Fattoria near Certaldo, Italy where I stayed some years back - it was about 5 feet long, but quite shallow, around 3-4" from memory. Funny how something as basic as a kitchen sink can evoke such strong feelings! So different from the norm, I guess.

The price doesn't seem too outrageous - I wanted a 12" diameter stainless steel sink for my outdoor kitchen (no room for a bigger, standard size one), and a company here wanted AUD $650 to make one on special order!

While there are some US companies making sinks of this size, none I could find was interested in shipping to Australia. One even did a quarter round sink which would have fitted perfectly in my (triangular) location, but it was USD $674! For a small stainless steel sink!

I ended up getting one from a British mail-order company, and get this - the stainless steel had been manufactured in Birmingham, sent to Italy to be pressed, back to England, then shipped to Australia - all for AUD $180! Weird.

So for something as beautiful as travertine, hewn from a rock face, shaped, polished and shipped from Tivoli to North America, I think the price is a snip, at least compared to some stainless steel models on offer!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Serf

Sounds like you have/had the same issues I am now experiencing. I just finished my outdoor kitchen structuer and now that winter is near i will have shelter for the cconcrete work. I too am building counter tops but I am going to pour mine with colored concrete and also pour a stamped floor. Just outside the hut will be the oven. I have a ways to go but this one man show does take time. Currently I am at work stoppage due to using the kitchen with family and friends. A picture is posted for you viewing pleasure.

Gareth
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen finished!-party-hut.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gareth,

Nice spot, nice work. Perfect locale for a pizza oven.

Jim