Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Outdoor Kitchen Design Help!!!

I think welders fall in the same category as masons, they prefer everything at 90 degrees and perfectly straight. The welders in my group can spot a pipe that is 1/16" out of plumb!!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
I think welders fall in the same category as masons, they prefer everything at 90 degrees and perfectly straight.
Maybe unit installers..but not us Stonemasons!!!

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Serf

Thanks for all of the input. I think I will keep the oven in the corner, however, after the pavers are laid out, I will have flexibility with the size/exact location of the serving/buffet table. I am also not ruling out a smaller island type table across from the WFO. It's difficult to visualize, as it is all just now faded paint on my lawn....
Tscarborough your oven is beautiful, which leads me to the "800 pound gorilla" in my "virtual" room. These forums are quite humbling, and I was reluctant to post, as I am not personally building my patio or doing the stonework on my oven. There, I said it, figured I'd get it out of the way early. Suffice it to say I am not as skilled as the talent present on these forums. In addition, the time requirement would put my first pizza firing at roughly the time my son enters college(he's now 12).
PS- this site is addictive! I think my wife is starting to question my fidelity with the amount of time I'm spending on my laptop.........
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The object of the site is an oven. Just be sure whoever you trust to build it understands the correct way to do so, because being a mason does not make you an oven builder. Hell, being an oven builder does not mean you do it right, as I can attest from seeing and helping people who had their funny looking fireplaces* built by an "experienced oven builder".

*What I call an uninsulated, wrongly vented horno, usually of Middle to South American traditional mud design.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Serf

Great advice. I spent months on these forums doing research before I committed to the idea of a WFO. Indeed, I interviewed quite a few "masons" for the job. It's funny how with a few simple questions I was able to weed out a few "experienced" masons. I will be on site for the oven build to make sure it is constructed accordingly and by the book. It's funny how many masons tried to tell me you don't need insulation under the oven floor, because "heat rises." Again, Tscarborough, beautiful oven, I'm officially jealous!
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Outdoor Kitchen Design Help!!!

Rhythmdoc

Quote:
PS- this site is addictive! I think my wife is starting to question my fidelity with the amount of time I'm spending on my laptop.........
That's easy to overcome, get her totally involved, not just the critic, but in planning, get her hands dirty during the build and maybe let her try her hand at tiling/decorating the dome. I know that she will enjoy it immensely once finished, so SHARE the whole experience.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Serf

Neil,

Thanks for the good advice. Suffice it to say we are both excited for our outdoor oasis! The Artigiano is crated and being shipped out today. Should arrive in NJ late next week.
All the permits(yawn) have been submitted, so depending when they get approved we will get started. Rumor has it the turnaround on the permits is pretty quick as my area was devastated by Superstorm Sandy and there are obviously a lot of permits being pushed through. We shall see.....
I will post pics as things begin to take shape.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Serf

I'm in the process of building an outdoor kitchen as we speak. I thought long and hard about the layout, decided on counter height countertops instead of bar height. I put the oven in front of the main countertop facing the seating area so they could see inside the oven. Also decided to make the countertop 42" deep one level (considered a drop down) so I could swing the peel around a put the pizzas directly on the counter without knocking over any drinks.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Serf

Hey Ideas,
I'm curious to see your layout. Any pics?
My job is underway. The outdoor fireplace is almost finished, and am waiting for plumbing/electrical inspections so we can get going on the kitchen/pizza oven. A surprise to no one I'm sure, but the process is taking longer than expected