Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Peasant

Default 500 lb. ridge beam is up!

Thanks to my small army, the ridge beam was up within 30 minutes. Piece of cake.

Last edited by n8huntsman; 06-07-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Outdoor Kitchen/Bar and Pompeii WFO Build in Southern California

Last edited by n8huntsman; 06-07-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:46 AM
Master Builder

Nothing like having the numbers. Good job. That should go nowhere anytime soon.
GrahamG likes this.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Apprentice

Ditto, I rake out the ask when cold. But the benefit here in the UK is that the wood dries out under the oven with the heat. Darn, damp weather!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boerwarrior View Post
With all respect to Bill and Gulf,

my wood storage area is directly under my oven and I have had no issues. I generally only rake my ash long after the embers are cold, and I have had no issues reaching down and back for wood.

However I am still in my early 50's. Maybe when I am in my 60's I will feel differently about crawling under there!

Neil

Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Peasant

Default All of the rafters are up. It's almost time to start on the roof.

All of the rafters are up. It's almost time to start on the roof.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Peasant

Default Roof Sheathing

2X6 douglas fir solid sheathing being installed over the 4X8 rafters. Vapor barrier and exposed fastener metal roofing will cap the top.

valentin likes this.

Last edited by n8huntsman; 09-02-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Serf

Very aesthetic work. You're lucky in California is not a lot of snow. The distance between the rafters more than a meter! I can only dream about this conditions. We have snow load is about 200 kg per 1 sq.m. ;-( Therefore rafter section 5х200mm (~ 2x8 ") in my kitchen set in increments of 500 mm.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Master Builder

I like your work. To live where the only load the roof has to carry is the structure and some rain has to be a real bonus for those of us who have that. Cyclonic wind is the issue on this coast but Bundaberg is on the edge of where that would be expected.

The weather patterns are changing but I doubt snow will be an issue for my roof in my lifetime.

My other observation is that the cost of lumber of those dimensions would be prohibitive here but most people looking to build for the future build in hardwood that is structurally stronger even if it is more expensive and harder to work. Steel is the other option but the aesthetics are yours.

Looking forward to seeing the completed structure. It has some class.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentin View Post
Very aesthetic work. You're lucky in California is not a lot of snow. The distance between the rafters more than a meter! I can only dream about this conditions. We have snow load is about 200 kg per 1 sq.m. ;-( Therefore rafter section 5х200mm (~ 2x8 ") in my kitchen set in increments of 500 mm.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant (and corrected) 4X8 rafters. I was originally going to use 2X8's on 24" centers, which is close to your 5X200mm on 500mm centers. I was going to use 1" T&G (tongue and groove) as sheathing. Then I saw a friends patio which used 4X's on 48" centers and really liked it. I Then realized that you can not use 1" T&G on 48" centers. 2X T&G was far too expensive so I went with ordinary 2X6 doug. fir. Still WAY more expensive than my original route, but I think it looks better. On the back section, hard to see in the pics, I had to add an extra rafter between two. Because of the odd angle, the span grows to almost 16'. In that one area I used 4X8's @ 24" spacing.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Peasant

Default Exposed fastener roof

Got behind on my posts so it’s going to seem like this went up quick It did only take a week though…

Last edited by n8huntsman; 09-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.