Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Serf

Default Re: Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build

I am considering putting in a outdoor wood fired pizza oven. I have a concern about how practical it will be to actually use. I live about 60 miles North of Nashville and would like to have a conversation with someone who has used their oven over a period of time.
Thanks for your time,
Terry
Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Master Builder

Hey Terry

I completed my oven in June and consider it to be the best thing I have ever made. It is not as pretty as some you will find on here but they are all good, just some better than others.

Mine gets fired up once per week usually. I organise what I cook to utilise the retained heat and the one firing usually gets me pizza, bread and cake, a roast dinner and a slow cook casserole for an example. I also use a tuscan grill to grill meat and fish over the coals. The possibilities are endless.

Not sure about the weather in Kentucky but I can use mine year round and have access to plenty of free wood so it works for me. It also killed the domestic gas bill.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a worthwhile project with a tasty, lasting outcome then a WFO is the way to go.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Apprentice

terry, live in southern illinois and use our WFO about once a week for 3 to 4 days in a row. probably the best time and investment i have made. love the pizzas, baked chicken, salmon, breads, etc. Take the risk and you should be happy with the end result. this is a great forum with great support and information for your build.

good luck
jon
Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Mallory View Post
I am considering putting in a outdoor wood fired pizza oven. I have a concern about how practical it will be to actually use. I live about 60 miles North of Nashville and would like to have a conversation with someone who has used their oven over a period of time.
Thanks for your time,
Terry
Well as you can see I have not been on here in a while, work has kept me away from my WFO build but I finally started it yesterday. If I use the WFO half as much as I use the grill I built and put in the outdoor kitchen then I will be a happy camper. Even in winter I use the outdoor grill (Provided the cover is not frozen to the countertop, which happened a time or two this past winter.) I actually live 30 miles due north of Nashville (Last exit before you enter KY.) and I plan on using this thing as much as possible. I saw a post on here not to long ago about a gentleman that used his in the dead of winter, the roof of the oven enclosure must of had 12" of snow and he was hard at it making pizza.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Laborer

Fast forward several months, actually more like a year and this is what it looks like now. Pavers are down, pergola is up, Pizza oven hearth is poured as is the rest of the countertop. Now comes the fun part I finally get to start on the WFO. I will start a new thread in the Oven build section,, so let the games begin
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-outdoor-1.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-outdoor-2.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-outdoor-3.jpg  
Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

S and S,

Well I'm glad to see you are still in the game. You already have a great start with the base and hearth and the metal parilla grill.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-08-2014, 04:16 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
S and S,

Well I'm glad to see you are still in the game. You already have a great start with the base and hearth and the metal parilla grill.
Thanks,

I am glad to finally get started on the oven. Now if I can just get past the problem I have with the FB boards I ordered and received then I can get started.