Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Wow, nice metal work. Those Argentinian's know how to grill, spent a couple summers in Bueno Aires.
Thank you and that would be cool! I had never grilled on this particular style grill before but loved the fact about the grate moving up and down to control heat and sear as well as the v-grate catching excess grease and channeling down to the front into the drip tray preventing most flare ups. We have cooked about 6 times on it so far and I have to tell you it really works awesome.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Peasant

Here is the next round of grill photos. They are of the three section top and also a shot of the first mock up of the firebrick lined fire box.
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-18.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-17.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-16.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-15.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-19.jpg  

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Peasant

This is the fabrication of the grate itself. 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle. Finished size ended up 34" wide and 22" deep. Weighted in at a whopping 34-1/2lbs. I hope it should last a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-21.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-23.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-24.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-26.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-27.jpg  

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

now that is a grill.....

chip
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Peasant

Thanks Chip,

Here is the next series of pics.
The front and side vents cut out, the hand hammered hinges, lid lock and handle. And finally the completed grill painted and set in place. The entire fire box section is lined with firebrick splits, and has a 2" layer of insulating concrete under the firebrick floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-29.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-30.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-33.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-35.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-custom-grill-36.jpg  

Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelandStone View Post
Thanks Chip,

Here is the next series of pics.
The front and side vents cut out, the hand hammered hinges, lid lock and handle. And finally the completed grill painted and set in place. The entire fire box section is lined with firebrick splits, and has a 2" layer of insulating concrete under the firebrick floor.
What is the decorative wire at the front of the oven if more than just decorative?

Chip
Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
What is the decorative wire at the front of the oven if more than just decorative?

Chip
Chip,
That is actually the handle you use to open the first front cover. I made it so the handle actually pivots all the way around and ends up on the back side of the front cover when open. I know that is not a great explaination on how it works. I will take a pic tomorrow to go along with fantastic description.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post

Chip
Chip,

Here are some additional pictures of the front handle. First pic is with front section down, second picture is with front section half way open and the handle rotated around to the back side of it, third pictutre is the front section fully open and the handle resting on the back side of it. I made the handle this way so you would not need a grill or oven mitt to open or close the first section of the cover as it is the one I open and close the most, and by keeping a good standoff distance between the handler and the grill it does not get too hot to handle bare handed.
Attached Thumbnails
Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-grill-handle-2.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-grill-handle-1.jpg   Nashville, TN. Outdoor Kitchen and WFO Build-grill-handle-3.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice design I changed my WFO doors to have wood handles because the metal ones were getting to hot but with your design I do not think that will be a problem. Great grill.

Chip
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Peasant

Thanks Chip,

It has worked out well. I have to admit it took a lot longer than I had planned to build it, but that is how it goes with all my projects. ( I probably need to set more realistic goals for how long a project will take. I forget about that damn day job. It gets in the way of everything.) I will say this the first grill I have had with the "v-style" cooking grates and I love it. They work perfectly. Now I have to get started on the WFO want to try to have the whole outdoor area ready for spring.