Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Laborer

Default Re: My Kitchen Design, What material for patio and counters?

Nice flagstone. We almost went that route but we wanted something a little smoother to have stools and chairs on. It all depends on how rustic you want it. I too almost went polished concrete on the counters until I decided I didn't have time to do it myself and then I priced it out. I think you'll find that granite is actually cheaper, smoother and looks better. There are a bunch of granite companies in the $25-30/sf range now. Also look on youtube for some pizza peel videos by that Italian peel company. They show how the slotted loading peel is used to scoup the pie right off the granite counter. So you will want a smooth surface that's easy to clean. We put a lazy suzan in the center of our 6' circle and everyone rolls out pies and loads on toppings right there. Works great and you just wipe the flour and stuff right into the pullout trash when your done.

I did the structure and the oven constrution myself, but hired out the stone veneer work. It ran about $9k with stone and supplies included. I had a lot of stone. It was well worth the money as you will be dead tired after getting the oven built. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Serf

The two surfaces that my wife and I are considering for our countertop are granite tile (DIY'able, can be had for $10/sf or less, and can be nearly indistinguishable from a traditional granite countertop), or Pennsylvania Bluestone slabs, which a local stone place has in 24x24 (and possibly larger) slabs for $7.50/sf. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pennsylvania Bluestone...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

I have the bluestone around my existing grill and smoker but will put granite around the WFO. The stone is absorbent, easily stains, has a rough texture which does not lend itself well to the pizza making process. My two cents.

My projects:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM

I too have bluestone on my oven landing. Yes it's porous, and stains, but it goes with the rustic effect, and the grease spots fade after time. The worst culprit is pulling the tuscan grill out to turn and retrieve the meat. Pizza really doesn't mess it up.

I just realized you were talking about the pizza making area. It pays to get something smooth and hard here. Bluestone may be too rough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Master Builder

I'd go with Granite, nice and smooth easy to clean surface. I think it's the best pizza prep surface you can get.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am doing concrete, somewhat rough and rustic, but I plan on polishing and sealing just the dough prep area. Couldn't you do the same with the bluestone?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
I am doing concrete, somewhat rough and rustic, but I plan on polishing and sealing just the dough prep area. Couldn't you do the same with the bluestone?
Polished Bluestone Countertop - - Buy Flagstone with Bargain Prices on Natural Pennsylvania Stone

Evidently, it can be done.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Peasant

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to do concrete and stain, and seal it. The stain plans... Well we shall see if I have the skill to do what I want.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Apprentice

I can't stress this enough, make SAMPLES!!! I made about 30 different concrete samples last year using all different combination's of concrete dye and stains.. I then let my wife judge and she hated every single sample that was stained but she loved almost all the ones that were just dye's.

Also, you have to be very careful with stain and sealer to be sure you make it food safe. And having it outdoors won't help that.

I'm finally going to do my kitchen this summer, the oven was last summer, and It will be dyed concrete. I did the same for the oven last summer.

Just my 2 cents.

-Shay

Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Apprentice

btw, the samples make nice stepping stones and accent pieces in landscape rock around the yard.

Tags
cement counter, grill, kitchen, oven, sink