Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Kitchen Design (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Mixers and more mixers (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/mixers-more-mixers-9445.html)

nissanneill 12-13-2009 02:33 AM

Mixers and more mixers

3 Attachment(s)
Well, it's decision making time again!
Last week I bid on ebay on a Hobart A-200 dough mixer with problems, (electrical and a broken casting), went up into the hills to check it out, asked the seller if he had a 'Buy Now' price and bought it home with me for Aus$50.
It took less than a half hour to rewire the cut off plug and solve the electrical problem, 3/4 hour to weld the broken carriage and all day today to strip the very chipped paintwork and repaint it.
Now I need to decide which one to keep, my original 2 speed 10 litre Chinese mixer with 3 beaters or the new (refurbished) 3 speed Hobart 20 litre with a single dough hook. The Hobart is much bigger in capacity but better suited to mixing dough I feel, and I wouldn't have the need for a whisk or beater.

Neill

heliman 12-13-2009 02:49 AM

Re: Mixers and more mixers

Ha - decision time for you Neill!!

I see the Hobart in the pic appears to have a C hook. I bought a Hobart 20 QT beater and spiral dough hook on eBay for about $140 AUD last week. Definitely worth getting those two if you intend keeping the Hobart! Whisker not so necessary for dough making.

Rossco

nissanneill 12-13-2009 02:53 AM

Rossco,
The dough hook is not a C hook but a spiral dough hook. It fits the bowl with around 5mm clearance.
A much bigger bowl but more useable (I feel) speeds #1 and #2 (still trying to get the speeds as there is no compliance plate on the machine). Speed #3 is quite fast for whisking.

Neill

heliman 12-13-2009 03:08 AM

OK - sounds good - couldn't quite see the hook in the pic.

The new machine looks amazing with the new coat of paint!!!!

Rossco

ThisOldGarageNJ 12-13-2009 06:41 AM

Keep The HOBART.... I bet you it will outlast the chinese one 10-1

Nice job fixing it up

Cheers
Mark

cynon767 12-13-2009 10:41 AM

I'm with Mark on this one- you went to the trouble of fixing up the Hobart; it will give you years of pride of ownership and reliable service, along with the satisfaction of having resurrected it.

egalecki 12-14-2009 05:36 AM

I must confess, Neill, that I always wondered about the really small clearance between the opening of the bowl and the hook on your Chinese mixer. It looks as though it's hard to add things without spilling, to me. The Hobart's got a lot more room there, even though it's bigger than you need it to be.

You probably have about the same amount of time invested in each (after making a new hook for the other one), right? So make a batch of dough in the Hobart and see if it works like you need. Does it mix adequately for the amounts you commonly use? Or is it better suited to much larger amounts?

Keep the one that does what you need it to do, does it well, and is easier to deal with. Whichever that may be.

heliman 12-14-2009 07:03 AM

I concur with Elizabeth's assessment of the situation. Very sound advice!

Don't be in a hurry to offload one - just take your time to learn the intricacies of each. Have you made a batch of dough with the new Hobart yet??

Rossco

70chevelle 12-14-2009 11:36 AM

Boy the Hobart looks nice! I think mixers are like garages, they can never bee too big!:D After this weekend, I'd love to have the Hobart. Not that my mixer didn't do it's job with flying colors, I just had to break it up over 2 days with a 12# batch each day. Nice work refurbing!

Frances 12-15-2009 12:58 AM

Well, I'd just love to have either one!

No that that's very helpful... but its certainly a nice problem to have.