Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Gas grill for your outdoor kitchen

I've got to agree with oventhusiast. The corporations are pretty deceitful with their promises. Probably working with a local dealer who can offer a good extended warrantee and service the unit if it fails is the way to go, though you end up paying more up front. I guess they get you one way or another.

Richie, my wife would kill me if I bought a Viking BBQ before buying the oven/cooktop for the indoor kitchen. They aren't rated that well by consumer reports either (but they sure are pretty).
George

-
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are ways of waking up Corporate America. The issue is that 95% of consumers accept the initial guidelines of the business rather than going to the manager, district manager, regional manager, etc. There is that level where the one manager that can make the difference, will do so. The thing is that that particular manager would rather not have to have their boss flush the crap on them "crap runs down stream". See, if a person willingly speaks up strong enough and assertive enough, while rational and making sense, they will get what they want, legally. Trust me, I have done so countless times. I do not like seeing family and friends bullied by business, and many companies get my loyalty because of it, more word of mouth, and sometimes further respect is built.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well said!

-
Old 12-31-2007, 06:59 AM
Apprentice

I'm sorry about your troubles RT but thanks for posting.

I feel I have to buy a gasser to compliment my outdoor kitchen. I want to go gas free but my wife is insisting on it. If it were up to just me I would have my Weber Kettle, Bandera smoker and BGE (Big Green Egg). Oh, and a pizza oven!

What about brass burners? Are they better than cast iron?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,

Cast brass seem better than cast iron. Had cast iron on my old grill - lasted about 2 yrs. The cast brass on my Lynx lasted 4 yrs. Keep in mind, I'm in FL and I grill year round, at least 2-3 times a week.

Propane corrodes every type of metal I know, even stainless, so don't be fooled by grills offering a lifetime warranty on stainless "tube type" burners either.
From my latest research, cast stainless burners should hold up the best. I think they are only found on the really premium brands.

I would seriously recommend buying a reasonably priced unit that has readily available, and reasonably priced parts.....if you grill alot, grates and burners are going to need replaced, regardless of the material or manufacturer.

RT
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good info, RT. I've never heard that propane is corrosive. How about natural gas. It must be different since it runs through all those safe LNG terminals to our homes. (?)
George

-
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Not being a chemist or metallurgist, I can only speak from experience.

I think there are many factors which cause corrosion of these metals which we are lead to believe are rust-free/non corrosive and "lifetime".
It may not be the gas itself (propane, or NG) but the reaction of the gas, the impurities in the gas, humidity, impurities in the air, as well as the high temps involved in grilling (and probably any "drippings" from the food you are grilling).

My grills have never been exposed to the elements and food drippings on the burners are not an issue with my Lynx grill. That leaves the gas, outside air, and temp. responsible. I can definetly say cast brass DOES corrode - "rust"- just like cast iron or steel, just takes a bit longer. I had several quarter size areas that just rotted away on these burners.

My only experiece with NG is the furnace in the home in which I grew up. Had cast iron burners and I am certain my dad had to replace them one winter...they too had rotted away in several spots.

RT
Old 01-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wierd. Certainly something to think about.

I think you're right about having to replace BBQ parts occasionally. I've done it myself on innumerable occasions. I have a higher end Kenmore grill right now. It's still going strong after two cooks per week for two years.
G.

-
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Serf

I have turned into such the snob about grilling. Forgive me, please! I went through the whole gasser thing for a few years and finally, quite by accident, came upon the Big Green Egg. Yep, it's charcoal (the real kind) so it takes a few minutes to get up to heat ... I'm always ready to cook in about 20 minutes. The flavor of everything (including pizza ... I don't have a brick oven yet) is way beyond anything I ever produced on a gasser. And, they look good built into an outdoor kitchen.

Just my opinion for what its worth.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've heard about the Big Green Egg many times, but never seen one. Briquettes are kind of a pain. Do you use lighter fluid or one of the chimney starting devices to get it going?
G.

-