Old 07-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: BenjaMia Bakehouse Project

so, does this mean that if the great flood comes, our ovens will all rise and float to the top? At least the ones with perlite covers and bottoms???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Journeyman

Elizabeth,

Don't say that, I was going to build an ark for my next project

So just how big is a cubit?

Dick
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
so, does this mean that if the great flood comes, our ovens will all rise and float to the top? At least the ones with perlite covers and bottoms???
Nope, I'm sure mine will be an anchor that can hold the Badger Ark in place!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Master Builder

Default Decorative Arch

The decorative arch was done with sandstone and backed with firebrick. The arch was done by initially setting the three blocks on either side of the arch, letting those set up before the top arch stones. The arch falsework was taken out about 15 minutes after the top 5 arch blocks were set...and it held!

The side details show the air intake vents that will be ducted to the outside.

Now to finish the vent and chimney.....
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1959-1.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1957-1.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1958-1.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1963-1.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1962-1.jpg  

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Way to go Jim. Very nice -- I like the natural, rustic look. And it held! I've had arches fall in, and it always feel great when the form comes out and the arch holds.

How's you summer going?

We have two weeks of family vacation left -- our girls go back to school after Labor Day.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Master Builder

The stones felt good going into place so I just let the mortar set a bit and then (gingerly) pulled out the form. (Seems like I read about Neill standing on his dome after his last keystone brick was set.....) But by doing this I could clean up the lower edge and get a good finish. I also added a layer of refractory mortar on the back of the sandstone.

Summer is good James, the twin grandchildren are walking now...fun to catch.
I need to get a picture of them in the oven before it get's fire up!

I'm about to start the loop boat trip....an upscale Huckelberry Finn journey...so that's going to be a new fun challenge too!

Enjoying every Pizza!
Jim
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well done!!! Love the stone work

Updated!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep, lovely entry. Looks great!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Master Builder

HTML Code:
Way to go Jim. Very nice -- I like the natural, rustic look.
Same goes for me! I'll look forward to seeing how you finish up.

So, that loop boat trip ... is that the one that includes the Rideau canal? If so, you're about two years too soon to see my island oven !! However, you're welcome to tie up at our dock and if you end up in Ottawa I'd be happy to fire up the oven there.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Master Builder

Oh, it will be a while Sara....

We need to keep checking on the Twins too!

First trip to the big lake.....miracle and wonder!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1979.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1983.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1989.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1994.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp2004.jpg