Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: BenjaMia Bakehouse Project

Used every insulating firebrick I could find...that pile is gone!
only a few of the very ugly firebricks leftover from where we started!

time to cleanup the rest of the messes!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1515.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1516.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-firebricks-insul.jpg  
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks just great, Jim!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Looks just great, Jim!!
Indeed

Cure time!!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: closing in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
almost done the dome.....it's been interesting with the teardrop shape.
You've been a busy boy S Jim..........looking good........

The shape is similar to mine except ours transitioned to a dome finish.

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor

Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Master Builder

Default Final insulation layer....

Thanks guys....it's been fun and educational!

I finished the insulation layer with another bag and a half of perlite....now to let it cure while I figure out a chimney

....always something to work on.

but I cleaned up too!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1558.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1557.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1555.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1562.jpg  
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM
Master Builder

Default WFO Surgery

I forgot about my thermocouple tubes and covered them with firebrick and luckily only a little perlite...

So I performed surgery on the patient before she cured....is it a she?

Anyway, I was able to extract the firebricks (three rows!) from under the pile, expose the tubes and add some extensions before replacting most of the bricks and repairing the perlite stucco.
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1549.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1550.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1551.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1553.jpg  
Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Master Builder

Default Outside Air for the Oven

I'm installing two air intake vents at the bottom sides of the entrance to the oven. They will be ducted to the outside of the bakehouse so that the oven will primarily use external air.

I will also be able to manually damper this intake air as needed. I am thinking about a chimney damper as well......I like maximum control!

I'm now thinking about a glass panel for the front.....outside air comes in on the sides, smoke goes up the chimney....I can watch the whole process through the glass panel....now to find a tempered glass door!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1560.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1561.jpg  
Old 07-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: WFO Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
So I performed surgery on the patient before she cured....is it a she?
This was covered in a previous thread... I'm pretty sure it's a "she" (or a Sheila for the Down Under crowd)

George's detailed description of his oven a few months back without a doubt indicated a feminine quality (it's too hot for me to repost... you'll have to look it up!)

Updated!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Master Builder

Bought a cheap thermocouple unit for $10 that came with two high temp probes...we'll see how it goes!

Also set up a grease board in the bakehouse to track temps!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1563-1.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1567-1.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Master Builder

Default Perlite

I had to cut off some of the perlite stucco....so I threw a couple of pieces in a bucket ....it floats! even after 3 days!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1565-1.jpg