Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: BenjaMia Bakehouse Project

Jim--
Does the mortar bag keep the mortar fresh and workable indefinitely, like an icing bag would when making cakes? I love the idea of using the premix and the homebrew for separate applications, but would worry about one drying out while I was fussing with the other.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Jim!

Just curious... Did you cut a pattern to guide you as you place each course? Or are you using some other method? Ken's string trick worked well for him. Have you come up with something different?

Anyway. I was just wondering.
And I'm nosy.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Master Builder

So far it's a freestyle build.....doin' what feels right, but I have not reverted to forms.

I buttressed the bricks on the side of the arch, built the arch and cut the entrance blocks to give a lot of room on the landing. The outer arch is going to be more of a challenge since it's larger. I have to think about what that will look like....maybe buy some new bricks.

Laid up the next ring of bricks. ...And it is getting more interesting!

The homebrew is portland based so the mortar bag needs to be cleaned after use.....but it keeps the mortar mix moist while you need it. I use the premix on the inside of the bricks next to the dome and let it set up, then I come in and fill in behind and finish by smearing the mortar on the backside of the dome. I keep it moist and give it a wet brush as well.

Drake, I have a bag of castable and will try to cast the transition vent to fit the opening I've created.

I also took a stab at beveling the arch blocks for better exhaust flows.

so far so good....
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1385.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1386.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1387.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1388.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1389.jpg  

Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Master Builder

another chain....
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1392.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1390.jpg  
Old 06-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Master Builder

Default Arch failure

Well I broke my new oven arch.. ..my fault for two reasons....

I didn't shim it well enough and removed the form too early.....the premix mortar in the broken joints was still soft since the masonry mass was so moist!

Good news is it broke into three blocks....so I reset the end block and waited a day to place the other two blocks back in place. It was an easy rebuild and only a minor setback....bruised ego....

nobody likes fallen arches!

back in business
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1391.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Master Builder

Default closing in....

almost done the dome.....it's been interesting with the teardrop shape!

My son-in-law is in the canvas business so I have a nice tarp to cover the dome while it's resting....
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1426.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1431.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1427.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1428.jpg   BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1424.jpg  

Old 07-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow this is going up in record time and looking great!
Drake
Old 07-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Master Builder

Default rain delay

lot's of storms and rain this week...

we had 87 MPH winds in Grand Haven on the Mishegame Lakeshore.

The oven is now a birdbath!

Happy 4th everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
BenjaMia Bakehouse Project-imgp1433.jpg  
Old 07-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Master Builder

Glad you had it covered!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Master Builder

Jim!

It's beautiful up here in Northern Michigan - I hope you're getting the same weather. Looks like you can make some good progress this weekend!

Chris