Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: BBQ Coach

Quote:
Tex...I'm a little confused on what you're saying around building the arch into the cabinets with the studs. I know the concrete board will bend (I looked up the specs on the standard stuff that DJO used, and even that will do a 5-foot radius, I guess), but how would I frame it with a curve? Do you mean frame it with straight lines, angled, but then curve the cement board across that? That's kind of what I was thinking...but haven't used steel studs before (but I've framed plenty of walls...just always straight...and using wood).
yes, let the board curve where it attaches to your framing. Its' only purpose is a weather layer, structure support and to hold the brick ties. Sounds like it will all be concealed by brick. The steel studs are not to bad at all. Tin snips, vice grips, drill and screws. You have a great spot and sounds like you are covering the bases. Be sure and consider electric(lights,rotisserie, plugs, point of service hot water) water (sink) and gas (not sure if it would be propane) for the grill and sewer if you have a sink. Since you are at the beginning, you can get all that in for Sunny San Diego pizza later on. You wont even get a freeze, i bet.
I look forward to your thread and build.
Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by texman; 09-12-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: comment
Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Peasant

Default Re: BBQ Coach

if I may make a quick observation...possibly was mentioned but I didn't see it.

Do Not buy steel studs from Lowes or Home Depot. They are only 25 guage (too thin) and further more they are not galvanized so immediate rusting and deterioration will be a huge problem especially if they are load bearing. Find a building suply company or sheet metal supply company and order GALVANIZED 18 guage studs (for supporting anything more than 500lbs) and use exterior rated self tapping metal screws. I apprenticed a contractor building a metal framed barn many years back and learned it is vitally important to use galvanized studs if they will be exposed to any type of moisture ever. Reason is steel can expand upt to 8 times its size when rusted. That means blown seams and cracking walls.
As mentioned in above threads metal is really pretty easy to work with and has all sorts of advantages over wood.
Those renderings are really cool. Great idea and good luck building it...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Serf

Default Re: BBQ Coach

Just a quick update since I posted my plans here. I did source some steel track that curves, and found a few other ways to do this, but have, alas, changed my design for a couple of reasons. I've squared off the kitchen area mostly, putting the pizza oven at a 45 degree angle, and then extending. In addition to being easier to build, it gives us more room on the patio (very important in my mostly sloping backyard), doesn't require demo'ing part of the existing retaining wall, it gives us a lot more usable space on the counter top to put other things (sink, cooler), and just seems a lot more clean. I'll be incorporating a similar tight curve and angles on the sitting wall opposite the kitchen area (in fact, I've already poured the footers and first course for that wall). I'm liking this better and better. Not as curvy, but we have curves elsewhere and this is a lot more functional. I think I'll go with steel (galvanized) studs and cement board for the counter area. Thanks for all the help, and I'll start a kitchen thread soon...and then eventually a WFO build thread. I'm sore from all the work I'm doing...I'm considering it my daily workouts.

I've attached a new rendering to show what I mean. The Pizza oven won't look exactly like that...but gives you an idea.

Bill~
Attached Thumbnails
BBQ Coach-new-outdoor-kitchen-design-2.jpg