Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Kitchen Design (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Bar finish help (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/bar-finish-help-19953.html)

Bill Cornett 09-21-2013 07:26 AM

Bar finish help

I built a concrete topped bar last year. I had Enspartic epoxy installed by someone. It was ground down to 50 grit. I am thinking I did not get it clean enough - I did not power wash it. About 6-8 months later, it started having spots the size of a quarter or half dollar where the epoxy was lifting.
I have now stripped it back to bare concrete at 50 grit. I don"t know if I want to chance epoxy again - although I liked it. So did LOML. I also think the epoxy was not thick enough.
I am wondering if I should densify with sodium silicate and top with beeswax. Since I am limited on time with a wedding coming up, could I just power wash, and top with beeswax-mineral oil(I have lowered the melting point of the wax with the oil for wood turning) and grind it some more in the spring and do the silicate-wax thing then?
I do my dough prep right on the bar so it MUST be food safe. Thanks.
-Bill

Bill Cornett 09-23-2013 04:05 PM

Re: Bar finish help

138 views w no answer. Here's the new plan...called epoxy installer from last year. Will go w his recommendations. Since no one answered, you may be waiting for an answer yourselves. I will a post a followup post and pics if I get a chance.
- Bill

Gulf 09-23-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Cornett (Post 162366)
138 views w no answer. Here's the new plan...called epoxy installed from last year. Will go w his recommendations. Since no one answered, you may be waiting for an answer yourselves. I will a post a followup post and pics if I get a chance.
- Bill

Sorry Bill,

I don't remember anyone on this forum polishing to 50 grit and then finishing with epoxy. Most, have polished to a much higher grit and then sealed. Many, may be waiting on the answer as I am. Please do let us know how it turns out :).

deejayoh 09-23-2013 06:03 PM

I polished to 1500 grit. 50 is just starting to polish. I'm not sure why you go with concrete if you want epoxy on it.

Bill Cornett 09-23-2013 06:11 PM

When I am wet grinding and the concrete is wet, it looks and feels great. I would prefer the 1500 or 3000 grit, but what do you do to seal it?

Gulf 09-23-2013 07:03 PM

I used Quikrete Satin Cure and Seal. Though, I had used Sika Bonding and Acrylic Fortifier in my mix to replace the water. I haven't had enough mileage to give a review, but it's looking good so far :)

EDIT: My landing is under partial cover in what is considered to be a climate with mild winters. Your "mileage" may vary greatly depending on what part of the U. S. of A. you are from :D.

stonecutter 09-23-2013 07:14 PM

I usually go to 1500 as a minimum for concrete. There are many good penetrating sealers out there that enhance and protect the concrete....I don't care for epoxy or surface sealers myself.

deejayoh 09-24-2013 09:42 AM

I used a penetrating sealer from my concrete supplier - don't recall the brand. I find I need to reseal annually, and I top up with butcher-block sealer every couple of months to enhance the shine. The weather beats it up quite a bit here.

john22 10-20-2013 11:49 PM

My friend has a bar at his place.
He used granite countertops and to make it more attractive, he installed onyx lit ups.
Damn! It gives peace when we hold a peg of 50 yr old JD.