Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Trader Joes

I don't recall, has anyone tried the Bubalus Bubalis Mozzarella di bufala from California?
They supposedly have one of the few (maybe the only) water buffalo heards in the US. The price does not scare me...its the next day air shipping charges from CA to FL. I would hate to drop $100 on an lb or 2 of cheese and have it be no better than what my local Italian market sells.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Three buck chuck is a wine that started in California as two buck chuck. It got pretty good reviews for an inexpensive red table wine. It was compared to some Napa $10 - $20 + wines and did fairly well. As soon as you go over the hill (the Sierras), it turns into three buck chuck.
Two thoughts about 2-buck Chuck.
Open it on Thursday ... drink it on Saturday.
It makes a decent Sangria.
J W
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Where I come from any $2 wine is called rock gut. I guess in keeping with the catch phrase theme it could be 2 - buck upchuck (referring to what will happen to your last meal).
Sorry, never been a wine guy, but I'm having flashbacks to my teenage years and a couple of friends who would drink Ripple and Boones Farm (both under$2) for a cheap buzz...then be sick for days.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnorris View Post
Two thoughts about 2-buck Chuck.
Open it on Thursday ... drink it on Saturday.
It makes a decent Sangria.
Ahhhh. It isn't that bad. :-)
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Ahhhh. It isn't that bad. :-)
I feel the same way about their pizza dough. Not as good as home-made, but having pizza is always better than not having pizza. Tonight I am going to be a double-barreled heretic - TJ's pizza dough and TJs pizza sauce. Not enough time to make my own. Me culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tried the Mozzarella di Bufala in Sorrento, just south of Napoli. There were several people on our tour bus from Sicily carrying bags of it back home with them. Seemed to be tons of water in it.

Personally, I can't tell the difference, though the Italians all say it's better.

Back to Trader Joes, it's one of my favorite stores, but the closest one is 30 miles away. I can't believe they haven't come up with online ordering on their website. Way behind the times if you ask me.

GJB

-
Old 11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Our friends brought along the Trader Joes dough on a boat trip. It held up fairly well in the freezer/fridge. We did a number of pizzas on the propane grill and they worked out pretty well.

Never going to be as good as homemade but it was a nice way to have home made pizzas on the water! We always cook with wine....maybe that helps too! I'm sure it helps!!

I've been buying the CA black box wines and they've been pretty good.....

Jim

Tiempo para guzarlos.....
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I tried the Mozzarella di Bufala in Sorrento, just south of Napoli. There were several people on our tour bus from Sicily carrying bags of it back home with them. Seemed to be tons of water in it.

Personally, I can't tell the difference, though the Italians all say it's better.

Back to Trader Joes, it's one of my favorite stores, but the closest one is 30 miles away. I can't believe they haven't come up with online ordering on their website. Way behind the times if you ask me.

GJB

-