Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Naples and Rome

We're back from our trip! I was a wee bit apprehensive about Naples, based on mixed reviews, but we ended up loving it. Absolute chaos, absolutely astounding food, and what a frayed, funky vibe. Thanks for all your comments and recommendations!

On an underground tour in Naples, we found a little bakery with a dome oven. I've seen pictures of pompeii ovens (and took some myself, of course!), but I hadn't seen pictures of this one posted before, and thought it might be enjoyed by the forum. I believe this was from the oldest Greek section of stores, if memory serves.

Interior of the dome. This brickwork looks reassuringly like mine. If it can stand for over 2000 years, I feel much better about the longevity of my oven. ;-)

Eating pizza at da Michele.

Many more pictures from the trip available at willsfamily : photos : January 2009- powered by SmugMug if anyone is interested.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I checked out your picutres...you make the Ace of Cakes look like a bum...Amazing!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm so glad you had a good trip! The pictures were pretty nifty. I was surprised to see snow on top of Vesuvius, for some reason.

I'll bet you're ready to go again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

What a blast. I'm envious. Great photos and you could tell you were having a great time.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Laborer

I've no experience with Naples. Rome I've been to a few times and it's amazing. The first time I was a student and I had a guide long lost that said that the best pizza was on Borgo Pia. I went back at the beginning of 2001 and tried to find that place and I think I did.

The pizza was great and I also had the italian rice balls. I even had an italian beer that was very good with the pizza (I have an otherwise low opinion of italian beer)

The best I can say is start here and walk. I think it's just up a few blocks on the left.

27 borgo pio, rome - Google Maps
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great to hear that you had a good trip. Napoli is a world away from normal America. I highly recommend it to anyone with a couple of extra days to spare in central Italy. Guard your possessions, embrace the culture!

-