Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Travel

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
You sure do get around. We had breakfast at a very nice French bakery/bistro.

Clafoutis - Santa Fe, NM

Might have a chance to try Tia's tomorrow.

Couldn't find a listing for Bagel Factory using google or yelp.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bruce
Sorry, they're closed. If your enjoy good coffee, try "Downtown Subscription", then checkout "Photo Eye Bookshop", next door, I used to work there. For your info. A bowl of chili in New Mexico, is not what you call chili else where. We call the other stuff Tex-Mex. Enjoy Santa Fe!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Sorry, they're closed. If your enjoy good coffee, try "Downtown Subscription", then checkout "Photo Eye Bookshop", next door, I used to work there. For your info. A bowl of chili in New Mexico, is not what you call chili else where. We call the other stuff Tex-Mex. Enjoy Santa Fe!
I'm a big fan of green chilli stew, though I also like a good Texas red. Took a cooking class today (I'll post more later). Like the food scene in Santa Fe. We're in a brew pub right now in the plaza area. Having a fun road trip. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_cefc7e0d-87d6-4ea8-b512-46dbb78bc5e9.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Journeyman

Mary Ann and I did a 3 hr hands on cooking class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking. The class covered making four types of chilli relleno; New Mexican tempura rellenos, ancho chile rellenos, cream cheese stuffed jalapenos en escabeche and chiles en nogada. They set up one work station at wheelchair height for me. While geared at a basic skill level, the class was still instructive and yielded a nice lunch. After the class we explored the historic downtown area.
Attached Thumbnails
Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_40640109-f6b7-4747-85b8-24d6539a825a.jpg   Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_90f7cb68-a068-45f7-92ca-341f80df2939.jpg   Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_2e707deb-251c-40cf-b0a5-dceb9a0a1248.jpg   Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_b777e813-8765-40d9-9bd8-e429a1a0f05c.jpg   Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_c2d23eba-d0ca-4eb3-95d4-58ab633c634f.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
When you head back and near Baton Rouge, there is a place an hour west of town in Krotz Spings on HWY 190 where I usually pick up sausages and other smoked meats. It will be on the right before you cross the bridge. The name is Kartchner's Grocery. http://kartchnersspecialties.com/index2.html. I like the marinated duck, boudin, cracklings and beef sticks they sell. Billy's is across the street and they are famous for their boudin balls. My cousin has a meat market, Bergeron's, in Port Allen on Lobdell. He makes a pork, jalapeño and jack cheese sausage that is very good. He has a restaurant attached to the store. If you want any restaurant recommendations in BR or New Orleans, let me know.

Kurt
Hi Kurt,

Looked at routing to New Orleans, appears to be about 19 hrs. We will probably try and get near NOLA on the second day. At least to Shreveport, and maybe to Baton Rouge. We'll see how far we travel tomorrow. Shreveport seems more likely, at least for dinner. Any pics in either city. Also, will have time for some good eating in NOLA, any thoughts. We will stay either in or near the quarter. Bruce

Old 05-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Journeyman

Long drive today (about 673 miles), just stopped for the night. We went from about 7,000 ft elevation to a bit over 400 ft in Terrell, TX. In Colorado we were at about 5200 ft and neither of us fully adjusted to the altitude. We should be in Baton Rouge for dinner and I hope Kurt or others will make some recommendations. NOLA on Sat and head for home on Mon.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Kurt sent me some recommendations for Baton Rouge and NOLA. He gave permission to share with the group.

Sorry about not following up on the post. I don't post online during work hours and I didn't get a chance to get online last night. Anyway, I'm going to make the assumption that you'd like something with a Louisiana flavor. In Baton Rouge, Parrains Seafood Restaurant is right off the interstate and is pretty good with moderate prices. You can eat for less than $10 by getting a poboy, but I doubt there are many entrees over $20. If there is a line to get in, you can grab a table in the bar section.

Parrains Seafood Restaurant

For something nicer, Louisiana Lagniappe Restaurant is probably the best seafood restaurant in town. It's about 3-4 miles off the interstate though.

Louisiana Lagniappe Restaurant | Baton Rouge, La

Closer to Parrains and right off the interstate is Mestizo Louisiana Mexican Restaurant. Looks like the reviews are mixed, but my wife and I like the Cancun-shrimp and crab enchiladas with a crawfish and spinach taco.

Mestizo Louisiana Mexican Restaurant - College/Acadian - Baton Rouge | Urbanspoon

Around lunch, I'm heading to New Orleans to pick up fire brick. I plan to have lunch at River Shack, I've been once and the special that day was one of the best fish dishes that I have ever had for all of $10. This place was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. It's nowhere near the French Quarter though.

NOLA Live Music, Restaurant and Drinks | The Rivershack Tavern | 504-834-4938

If you plan to check out the WWII museum near the Quarter, I recommend that you check out Cochon or Butcher specializes in house made meats, terrines and sausages, the fresh cuts are handpicked and ready-to-cook items available daily. It's a block or two away from the museum. This is one of the few Cajun restaurants in New Orleans.

Cochon]Cochon Abita Beer Whole Grain Mustard | Cochon Butcher | New Orleans Sandwich Shop | Donald Link Butcher | New Orleans Sandwich Shop | Donald Link |

In the Quarter, going to Central Grocery for a muffulletta. It's the original. My friend in Texas used to make me pick them up for him as it is his favorite sandwich.

http://www.centralgroceryneworleans.com/]Central Grocery New Orleans

My go to poboy restaurant in New Orleans is R&O's. This place isn't near the quarter either and they only take cash and maybe checks

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/lo...ource=apppromo

We plan to try Parrain's for dinner. Bruce

Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Journeyman

Stopped in Shreveport, LA and had a good lunch at Herby-K's. We split an order of Crawfish Etouffee and an Oyster and Shrimp Poboy. The Étouffée was the best I ever tasted and the Poboy was very good.

Herby-K's
1833 Pierre Ave
Shreveport, LA 71103
(318) 424-2724
Herby-K's - Shreveport, LA

Had dinner in Baton Rouge and tried Kurt's recommendation of Parrain's. We tried the Turtle Soup and the Seafood Gumbo. We split an order of Barbecued Drum. It was a large filet of Drum that was chargrilled with the skin and scale side down and basted with lemon butter. It was one of the best fish entrees I have ever had. Thanks Kurt.

Parrain's Seafood
3225 Perkins Rd
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(225) 381-9922
Parrain's Seafood - Baton Rouge, LA
Attached Thumbnails
Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_d6fa5b4d-0e32-41eb-b7bc-76501cd7edf0.jpg   Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado-image_eddaea39-7903-46da-b5de-118983e7ca11.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cool Re: Beginning Road Trip - Tallahassee to Colorado

Gudday Bruce
I'm a bit sad that you trip is nearly at an end. It's been fascinating checking the map to we're you are. It's been a bit of a good adventure. I'm started to come to the conclusion that you American members of the forum are a bunch of "foodies". Now I mean that in the nicest possible way.
I have been having to "google" a lot of the food terms cause they are just plain unknown to me. Fascinating!
I'm particularly taken with a "poboy" it was a bit of a "what da" moment for me. I googled it to find out. The simmered beef and spices sounds great. But the fried shrimp (prawns down here) sounds pretty bloody good to me.!!!!
Anyway haven't had my evening meal and al this talk of food is making me hungry.
Thanks Bruce and thank you forno mob for giving me an insite into a bit of America that I hadn't realized.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Apprentice

Glad you enjoyed your meal and I didn't steer you wrong.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtloup View Post
Glad you enjoyed your meal and I didn't steer you wrong.
We both really enjoyed Parrain's. thanks for the suggestions. Thanks again, Bruce