Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Brick Oven Cooking > Appetizers

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Salmon Poppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I've been doing a dry brine with the salmon wrapped in plastic and then foil. I keep this pressed with weights and refrigerated for 24 hrs. The brine is rinsed off and the salmon is allowed to dry with a fan blowing over it for a few hours. I try to keep the temp at about 150 f during the smoke and place the salmon on a rack over a pan of ice in the green egg to keep the salmon from cooking too fast. I usually smoke the salmon for 5-6 hours raising the temp slightly near the end.

Wood selection has been based on what I have on hand. I never tried vines. In terms of wild vines, 3" thick vines are going up the trunks of trees are common. When we moved into our current house (about 20 yrs ago), my wife asked me to cut a thick vine in the yard. I got a hand saw grabbed the vine and sawed the vine. Of course I didn't wear gloves and the saw dust covered my hands. Turned out the vine was poison ivy.

We've planted a few grape vines and I will try using some, probably when I am grilling since there won't be much of a supply. I think I'll pass on the ivy vines.
I'm a fair way North of you, but also have some substantial Poison Ivy vines on the property. In my woods you must avoid Poison Ivy and Multiflora Rose bushes. If you can get past them you can find the grape vines, and this time of year, Morel Mushrooms.

I've run afoul of the Ivy as well, no treat
Old 04-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Laurentius - I actually wanted to keep the fire below 250 f so I could have a longer smoke. They could of been taken off sooner but I wanted more smoke flavor. I was a bit lazy so didn't use my temp controller and the fire got too hot. At any rate, enjoyed by all. Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bex1208,

With all the bad experiences with poison vines, I guess it would be a good idea to identify the the "choice" vines now that the leaves are starting to show.

In the south we have a group of wild grapes known as bullis, scuppernong, and muscadine. The old growth (last years growth), is great for smoking. In my neck of the south, bullis grape vines grow almost everywhere. Fence rows, the edges of tree lines, etc. muscadine and scuppernong are grown for the market.

Do a search on the bullis and study the pics of the leaves. Better yet, locate them when they are bearing fruit in the fall.

Muscadine and scuppernong may be found on local farms. The cuttings are usually discarded. You may be able to work something out with the farmers.

Even the tiny new growth is useful as starter once it is dry in late fall or early winter. They can easily be broken up by hand into tiny twigs. Place a small pile of them in your oven under a few small hardwood limbs, light a stoked charcoal chimney of them also, and you will have an instant roaring fire.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Bex1208,

With all the bad experiences with poison vines, I guess it would be a good idea to identify the the "choice" vines now that the leaves are starting to show.
Hi Gulf, good advice, though I think I am of the once bit twice shy ilk.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Journeyman

Polo - hope to have my WFO before and be focused mostly on bread and pizza for awhile. I am doing a lot less true bbq since cutting back on my meat consumption. Used to do some really good briskets (in my opinion anyways) generally 14 to 18 hour cooks. Right now eating a lot more seafood which I tend to grill. Got hooked on smoked salmon while visiting Seattle. Bruce

Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Hi Gulf, good advice, though I think I am of the once bit twice shy ilk.
I can't say that I blame you for that . But, from what I've seen of your research for WFO's, I am confident that you can do the same for the the fuel .

You could just do a search for the grape vines mentioned, compare the leaf pics, and the fruits bared. With a little research this summer and fall, you will be an expert. That goes for all the hardwood and fruitwood for your oven.

Just sayin'

Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Journeyman

Actually, I still have trouble recognizing poison ivy. My wife has actually become very good over the past few decades. I will pass this along to her and hope she is interested. Thanks again, Bruce