Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Are you planning your gardens yet?

Gosh you're all well organised!

We had a guy round to prune our trees last week... never could make head nor tail of my pruning book. I think the only thing I'm changing garden wise is to keep twigs to dry and use and kindling. Apart from that, less time in the garden means more for using my oven.

Or for making a new mosiac...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Are you planning your gardens yet?

My garden is at the point where we are just picking quantities of tomatoes, chilies, peppers, cucumbers, Butternut and Queensland blue pumpkins and strawberries.
It is getting overgrown with the pumpkins and sunflowers topping 6 feet tall and some with 17+ flowers on them (I keep them and Marigold flowers to attract the bees for better setting of the fruits).
I have 7 different varieties of tomatoes in and will rationalise next summer after establishing which variety makes the best sauces an chutney.
The Grosse Lisse is in my opinion the best table tomato, makes nice sauce and chutney but not as fleshy as others.
I will post some pics tonight once I get home but the forecast is for 44˚C today and the garden could be looking a little sad.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I get most of my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I don't really plant anything specifically for the oven, but I do have some REAL favorites. Rather than zucchini I grow a round version "Tondo Scuro di Piacenza". Lots of tomatoes. I really like Cherokee Purple but typically have five or six varieties. And two cantelopes of real note, the Boule d'Or and Charentais. The Boule d'Or is like a yellow honeydew. The Charentais is a softball size true cantelope and unbelievable! Everything else is pretty normal, lettuce and peppers and herbs, etc. But the ones mentioned above are truly special!
Jay
Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

As mentioned earlier, the garden just suffered a 45.7˚C day today so I need to give it a drink tonight
It is a little confined in area as the pool took over priority in the available back yard, reducing it to less than half it's original size.
With 4 fruit trees, 2 passion fruit vines and numerous grape vines, it doesn't leave a lot of room for the veg.
I will do things a little different next year, better soil preparation, (I just dug in 3 large trailer loads of fresh horse manure prior to planting), plant the pumpkins and runner plants on trellises, herbs and spices adjacent to the oven, and more tomatoes. They have grown to the point where I run a rope around then and tie them back to the fence. They are the Grosse Lisse variety.

Cheers.
Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Are you planning your gardens yet?-garden-1-web.jpg   Are you planning your gardens yet?-garden-2-web.jpg   Are you planning your gardens yet?-garden-3-web.jpg   Are you planning your gardens yet?-garden-5-web.jpg  

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow Neill. That's a lot of veg in a little space! Well planned.

I used a method of trellising this year I was really happy with. I used 1/2 inch electrical conduit (metal)- bent a length of it at both ends and used connectors from that to straight pieces to make legs. So it was sort of like an upside down U. Then I tied netting with 4 inch holes to that. I drove 3/8 inch rebar into the ground where I wanted the trellis and put the metal legs over it- and voila, a sturdy trellis I can move next year if I want to. You should be able to see it in the picture. I made most of them about 8 feet tall, and they were great. The others were about 10 feet, and that was a bit too tall. I couldn't reach the top!
Attached Thumbnails
Are you planning your gardens yet?-p1010004_001_122.jpg  

Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great stuff Elizabeth.
I have a tube bender (and a pipe bender - of course- who hasn't eh!) and some unused wire mesh similar to yours.
You have given me inspiration to make similar vegy supports tha can be easily stored and re-used.
I am too tight to buy the hardwood stakes (usually around the $5-6 mark each) so I buy 3 x 2" Jarrah flooring joists and cut them down on my bench saw to 1 x 1 1/4" stakes for under a dollar each. Then you have to continually tie up those rapidly growing plants each week! It will be easier to simply feed the shoots through the mesh.
I also plan on covering the whole of the vegy garden with bird meshing rather than individual plants/trees. Many orchardists and vine growers are having to do this as the birds are a real menace.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

just make sure you have big enough holes in your mesh- I used some bird netting on one set, thinking it would be better, but if you can't get your hand through it, you can't reach anything that grows on the other side! Oops! The plants did fine, but I got tired of having to pick from both sides.

It was great just being able to pick up the trellis and move it into the shed. I used two foot sections of rebar for my anchors- drive about 1 foot down and leave 1 foot to put up the conduit. Very sturdy.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Master Builder

While I canít see that thereís any hurry at this point Ė see our latest weather photo, below Ė I have actually been thinking about gardening lately. Apart from a few tomato plants two years ago, and herbs, Iíve never had a garden, though Iíve plenty of room.

I have plans to dig up a bed this year and would like to grow various heirloom items where possible.

The wish list contains (but is not limited to):
tomatoes, carrots, squash for both its fruit and its blossoms, beans, peas, beets, parsnips, purple potatoes, onions, kale, basil, oregano, chives, lavender, rosemary, strawberries, raspberries, red currants, gooseberries, blueberries, elderberries, mulberries, roses for their rosehips, apples, pears, etc.

The reality will of course be much more modest but Iíll be happy if I actually get a garden bed established and get five or more of the fruits and veggies planted, as well as some herbs.

Time will tell Ö

Sarah
Attached Thumbnails
Are you planning your gardens yet?-dsc_0428.jpg  
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great suggestion Elizabeth!

I like the fact that it can easily be used as both a trellis AND a bird screen support (separately...) I have need for both in certain places. Thanks!

Jay
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Great stuff Elizabeth.
I have a tube bender (and a pipe bender - of course- who hasn't eh!) and some unused wire mesh similar to yours.
Neill
You're going out of your way to make me jealous now, aren't you?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]