Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood storage entry height

Thats the ticket.....Les, if you don't try it, someone in the group will. Maybe get it to rise up after it clears the opening......no sense in bending over if you don't have to.
Sounds like we are only a couple of electic motors, servos, switches, and maybe a couple of pneumatic or hydraulic actuators away from perfection.

Where are the engineers when you need them???
Old 06-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Master Builder

have to say wise advise from James about getting your cooking height right.
If you are able to see whatever is cooking when you are standing back chatting to someone (and sipping some wine) its easier to keep on eye on things so they don't burn.

rather than bending over to look all the time....... and spilling your drink

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
All,

Frankly, I went to considerable effort in getting my under oven opening as large as I could, once the hearth height was determined. In practice, I don't use the area for wood storage at all. Instead, I use it for a large ash pail. Behind that, I've stored extra brick, brick sand and covered pails of various cements: Portland, Type N, Type S, because it's so dry back there.

For wood storage, I built a separate woodshed close by that has enough gaps in it for air circulation so the wood seasons properly. A woodshed needen't be anything elaborate: roof board sides, 2 x 6 floor, metal roof. Just a thought.

Jim
I like the wood shed idea - I can think of a number of other things to store under the oven - stuff I don't need as often.

On the drawer thing - maybe those glide thingies that you use to move heavy furniture?

(Okay, not really - I'd still go with industrial casters were I so inclined.)

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Thats the ticket.....Les, if you don't try it, someone in the group will. Maybe get it to rise up after it clears the opening......no sense in bending over if you don't have to.
Sounds like we are only a couple of electic motors, servos, switches, and maybe a couple of pneumatic or hydraulic actuators away from perfection.

Where are the engineers when you need them???
Why not just put in a rear door and use a screw jack to lift up the back end when you want the wood to slide forward?

:teeth:

[/CENTER]
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Absolutely, cooking height is more important.
I think Les may be looking for adaptations to the standard Pompeii plans that allow for easier (less bending and crawling for wood) wood access.
As I stated, that would be a consideration in my planning any future oven build. I know right now I find myself building my ititial fire, then stacking wood next to the entry (which takes up the space needed for my IR, gloves, log tongs, pizza waiting to go in, etc).
Doing things again, I think I would encorporate an upper chamber for holding at least a dozen logs or so; keeping me off my knees during cooking and not using the limited yet valuable space outside my entry. I would also either use the bottom as I do now for wood or have a seperate "wood shed" for the bulk of my wood.....Although my wife was emphatic on that issue - no wood shed, no make shift wood storage area.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damn it RT, I am an engineer (star trek pun). I'm on the electronic side - not a gear head.

I think the rolling out idea with an opener would work. An overhead opener can span a distance of 6 feet, more then enough - and it should have the torque. With my current width and height, I could load 1/4 of a cord in the tray, that will last a few burns.

I just need to get to that point and find the holy grail of spare time that you were talking about.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

sorry Scottie.....I mean Les. I'm reporting to sick bay, get my head examined
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

All,

Just another thought relative to sliders for wood storage. There are two stage sliders out there, heavy duty, that need not extend beyond the opening when slid all the way back. Think of them as a slider within a slider. I've seen them used on utility trucks to hold tool bins. One source would be Lee Valley Tools, although I'm sure there are others.

Jim
Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm trying to visualize how you'd get a garage door opener to do that - drawing a blank here.

[/CENTER]
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Master Builder

My wood storage opening will be about 28 inches tall and oven floor about 44 inches give or take an inch to be determined when I lay my patio pavers...

After putting all that rebar in the hearth, I wonder why I bothered with lintels......

I could have had an extra block height of opening space.....

Last edited by christo; 06-26-2007 at 08:36 AM.