Old 06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: What is your oven worth

Hi RTflorida,
doesn't that really get you with people who look at your house and the assets that go with it and don't place any value at all on them.
We put our house on the market some years ago and some of the comments, "Oh it's got a fully tiled swimming pool, I guesss that's a bonus" was enought to put them out. They have absolutely no idea of costs and effort to achieve these benefits, even if we see them as needed for whatever reason.
Unfortunately, my oven is built in to stay but if and when we sell or move (that is if one of our kids don't want the house) the oven and outdoor entertaining area will be an all year round asset that will blow the prospective buyer away, if not then, they can go fly!

Neill
Old 06-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: What is your oven worth

I suppose thats the trick, building an oven "fits in" with the general theme of your home/property. BUT there will always be someone who doesn't appreaciate an oven though (until they actually have one).

There are some really great ovens on here, hence the $$$$ spent. Mine is at the cheaper end also. Currently my costs are approx. AUS$600...completely finished it will be under AUS$1000. Bearing in mind I already had 99% of the tools, sourced all bricks for AUS$20 (used red bricks) and have a simpler exposed dome kind of style (insulatation included though).
my point.... if you are one of those people reading this, that doesn't quite have the $$$$ to build one of the great FB ovens.....you can achieve an oven on a limited budget, under some circumstances and with some limitations.

$$$$$ on labour.......now thats a different thing, what do people think on materials/labour ratio:
65% labour cost
35% materials cost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bacterium; 06-24-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doh and I proof read it 2
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neill, Thats exactly how I feel. And they can keep ordering their baked cardboard topped with fake cheese...no invites to my pizza parties.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Damon, don't sell yourself short on the labor. Based on the many terrific ovens on FB; I would put the split at 75% labor & 25% materials. A quality mason will make big $$$$ building one of our ovens......and earn every penny of it.

RT
Old 06-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Apprentice

I remember reading that one mason was charging 4k to build just the inner chamber of the oven. This was the labor price only and did not include any materials or base/slab/finish. You also have to pay his transportation and lodging fees. I think 10K would be a bargain depending on finish, I could cinder block and skincoat/stucco the whole thing in a very short period of time but as they say "god is in the details"
Old 06-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
Damon, don't sell yourself short on the labor. Based on the many terrific ovens on FB; I would put the split at 75% labor & 25% materials. A quality mason will make big $$$$ building one of our ovens......and earn every penny of it.

RT
yeah..... I suppose I qualify as "experienced" now

Old 10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am probably late in the game to this conversation, but I figure that the people that we (us to forum) surround ourselves with, invite to our home, and appreciate the QUALITY of our belongings, can appreciate our hard work. This is especially true when we explain it as a process of love, and share the benifits with them. Some of you show the concern of the oven and its benifits to buyers. I would say that if you want to promote the awesome oven, do a pre open house pizza party with the Realty team that you go with so that they will share all the praises to their buyers, which could create the respect you deserve. If someone cannot respect the hard work of building one, then they don't deserve the opportunity to share in the fun....
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,
your last statement speaks volumes. I have a couple of neighbors who thought I was crazy and actually made smart ass comments a couple of times during the building process (usually when I was busting my butt lugging bricks or concrete). My wife just doesn't get it when I refuse to invite them over for pizza; she thinks all of our neighbors should be treated equally.....all are welcome.
To me, they are not deserving......no one appreciates a smart ass, especially when your already getting your butt kicked by the oven build.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Agreed. Ask her what is most important to her in the back yard. If some of your friends were to destroy it, then watch her with humor as it is rebuilt, would she also favor their presence again? If she says yes, then wow...if she says no, then she might appreciate those views, then realize not all neighbors are equal. Heck, families don't even treat each other as equal...
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Master Builder

interesting comments RT and Acoma

One of my neighbours made a similar comment when I was building mine.....as it turns out he hasn't been over for pizza yet

Another story....
Last weekend I had one of my youngest son's first birthday party - I cooked up quite a few pizzas, experimented a lot and came up with my best results to date. Anyway my 5 year olds friend (who is about 6) was over at the party and he was really getting into the pizzas (eating more than the others). Well his family had elcheapo take out pizza the other night (3 days after party) and the lad said (when they were eating it) - "I really don't like these pizzas - they are no where near as good as Damon's"

As you can imagine - I was pretty happy to hear that and word is spreading.

His mum made the birthday cake (the best chocolate mud cake out) so I made sure she went home with a loaf of freshly baked (brick oven) bread that day.......Any way you are right - Once people have had the "experience" around a wood fired oven they truly understand what words can't achieve.

While I am ranting......my father in law is a real estate agent - he now knows the value of a brick oven