Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: What did Santa bring you?

Mark,
a mig welder is a great tool, most welders are. I have 2 stick welders and 2 mig welders BUT the rental on the bottles are the killer! $180 per year and then around $180 to fill the larger size. It is no wonder that fabrication people charge a fortune to do jobs, The first one I bought was one that the crash repair industry use alot, a 170 amp unit, very good for light and panel work but lacks grunt and duty time, so I bought a 250 amp unit this year at an auction that hat around 10 in it and got a remote head unit for around 1/3 the new price.
My 'special lady' is my wife of 36 years, couldn't afford another one on the side, only gets one into trouble, just ask Tiger. She is very talented and we just unpacked her $13000 Bernina embroidery machine and just ordered a long arm quilting machine from the States.
We simply buy what we need and want which is a wonderful feeling now. Hence the lack of Santa presents. I do have a new spiral dough hook and beater for my second commercial mixer, and I just bought a half cut SR20DET Nissan Avenir for my second clubman, a Dax Rush, that will be my toy once I sell the Robin Hood clubman that I thought I wanted (but they were made by cowboys and rough as guts, nice looking vehicle but needing total re-engineering and fabrication).
Just watch out for the cheapie chinese machines, they are very tempting but parts, duty cycle and reliability need to be addressed.
Check around and see the machines most commonly used for reliability and serviceability.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What did Santa bring you?

Neill, I used to work at a store that sells Bernina machines... I have several, including the forerunner of your wife's new machine. There is no better modern machine, IMHO. Has she had a Bernina before?

Of course, I don't have time to sew at the moment... but I don't have grandchildren, either. When I have some (better be a long time, too!) I'll sew like a fiend!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

neil...
congrats to being married to a wonderful woman for 36 years,, god bless you both... I pesonally could just never do it... and Im happy with that... May you have many more happy years

Cheers
Mark
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Elizabeth.
Marcia, (my wife) teaches computerized embroidery for those people who buy the expensive and sophisticated Bernina and Pfaff embroidery machines.
I just got her to unpack the new Bernina 830 which has been home unpacked since Easter. Not enough room was the excuse but what a shame not to have something so wonderful (and expensive) lavishing in the box for do long.
Today I made the little shelf behind the machine for her beloved stereo and a few of her favoured CD's.
She also has 2 Pfaff 1475 CD's, a Pfaff 7570, A Husquana 2000, a Brother 2000, an industrial Union Special overlocker and her collection of old machines has an old Singer treadle, a hand crank Singer, a black Singer 222K and also a white one, an old Bernina, and others buried and too hard to dig out to list.
She has also just ordered a new 24" Nolting with a 12 foot table for her quilting.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
What did Santa bring you?-new-bernina-setup-web.jpg   What did Santa bring you?-older-bernina-web.jpg  

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hey neil...
this is just a pic I pulled off the web, but its the machine i use.. I have 2 with 4 sewing heads another with 2 sewing heads and another with a single head.. they are all 15 needle machines (color) and will run at 1500 stitches per minute. Its something to see when they are going full speed... Just thought you might enjoy the pics.

cheers
mark

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,
when working for Tafesa, I had 2 employers who integrated machine embroidery with screen printing. Each have multiple head machines, don't know their speed nor capacity/colours but quite significant, one was a 12 station and another I think a 10 station machine.
The domestic machines are now quite sophisticated but still don't come up to the commercial ones, but improving and getting bigger with each model.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neil,,
I often wish i had a few of those,, easier, quieter, etc... but my workload wouldnt allow it...

oh well

cheers
mark
Old 12-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
Neil,,
I often wish i had a few of those,, easier, quieter, etc... but my workload wouldnt allow it...

oh well

cheers
mark
I have a sewing machine. When I get braver, I'll put on the legs and try setting it up again. Name:  hi.gif
Views: 101
Size:  2.0 KB

It's really heavy!Name:  sigh.gif
Views: 103
Size:  909 Bytes

Are you gonna tell me what book you got, or not? Name:  glare.gif
Views: 99
Size:  356 Bytes

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Are you gonna tell me what book you got, or not?
ok ok... i had to go upstairs and get the books...

Build your own earth oven by kiko denzer and hannah field
and
Wood fired cooking by Mary Karlin

I'll give you an Idea of whats going on with them over the long weekend. havent done more than leafed thru them yet..

Cheers
Mark
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got books, too....
Three books on spinning....

And this is what I put together while waiting for my real spindle to arrive...
Attached Thumbnails
What did Santa bring you?-saara-scarf-022.jpg