Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Variations in the Oven landing shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I don't think that's so deep a question.

Some posters are building a WFO in a day, a bunch of common bricks stacked together and they are making pizza. I don't think one would be too far off in saying their goal would be enjoying pizza and a few beers with their mates. That is looks like a stack/pile of bricks is of little concern, their concern is the pizza.

Some are building "Taj Mahals" that they sit around discussing aspects of the high end wine they are drinking. Some have even paid big bucks for someone else to build their WFO because they don't have the XXX or XXX to do it themselves. They want to impress the neighbors/friends (although they most likely won't admit it). And they like quality pizza too.

Some do it for the personal satisfaction of doing it themselves. They do quality work because it means something to them. They are hardest on themselves regarding quality and judge the pizza probably more critically than the guys who paid to have the WFO built for them.

Some are like the couple who bought my parents place in California. He built high end homes for the "Recently Rich" people of Silicon Valley. They tore down my parents old home and built new. And new high end homes have a WFO in the kitchen (according to them) and that was in 1996! Not that they were all excited about a WFO, it was a necessity in the level home they were "creating". (My folks had a great view overlooking Montery Bay, one could see surfers at Santa Cruz with a telescope.)

Some would have better off buying a moveable WFO from James (and therefore could still be enjoying pizza) because the beast they built has developed a bad case of the cracked oven syndrome due to a host of factors. And now two years after construction it is as popular as the ski boat they have parked in the weeds next to the garage.

Or some would have been better off buying a ready to fire WFO from James and getting the job completed before they ran out of life (time) to complete it in. (Lots of reasons for buying one from James actually.)

Lots of reasons for building your own WFO (or not), these are just a few that went thru my head.

But honestly don't you think one should ponder why they are building their own WFO (hopefully before they start). Sorry this is changing the direction of this thread, but this is the chit chat section/forum and chit chat does tend to wander. Why did you build your WFO?

Bests,
Wiley
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
To start with because I like doing projects and having a challenge.

Now onto my second oven because I have seen the errors of my ways with the first. And also because we love doing general cooking in the oven rather than just pizza.
Wiley, you and I think a lot alike....Now that you mention it, I have revisited my purpose in building the oven already and haven't permanently laid the floor

Bottom line is that I'm a working class guy, (with an education), who both, 1) Likes a project and, 2) Likes eating pizza, bread and other roasted things. After reading many of the oven projects here, I was humbled by the intellect and abilities of some of our fellow members.

Brickie, for me its about equal: Half goal oriented and project oriented, and half taste and socially motivated. The longer you work, the longer you live....I'm 62 and retired for 13 years already....Need to keep busy to see my grand children as adults

More chit chat is welcome, if anyone has unique ideas about an oven opening, that is welcome too

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 01-25-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Variations in the Oven landing shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
Half goal oriented and project oriented, and half taste and socially motivated.
I usually see 3 halfs in things really.

And no, I dont do drugs before you ask..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I usually see 3 halfs in things really.

And no, I dont do drugs before you ask..
You're not a politician, are you?

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 01-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Politics bores me to tears.. Id rather watch paint dry.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I built my oven because I wanted to build something using timbrel vault construction. It so happened that an oven is an excellent use, and I had almost everything I needed on hand. The design developed as I laid brick, and the goal was the arch, not the oven.

I have been making pizza for almost 40 years, so it kind of came together. Thanks to this site, it came together in a way that actually works.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hated to cover it up, actually.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And its bonded too!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Master Builder

"Wiley, you and I think a lot alike....Now that you mention it, I have revisited my purpose in building the oven already and haven't permanently laid the floor ...

....I'm 62 and retired for 13 years already....Need to keep busy to see my grand children as adults"

Lee, Alot closer than one might expect...I'll be 62 in a few weeks, and I also retired at 49 1/2; it'll be 13 years on Halloween (the aniversary of my retiring). I have 5 grandkids stretching from a granddaughter who's 23 and the youngest grandson is 7 years.

And I built my oven because I like self-sufficiency. I found Forno Bravo because I have a friend who was going to build an Alan Scott oven and I stumbled onto FB in a online search of wood fired ovens. He never did build himself a WFO.

Bests,
Wiley
Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Of course it is bonded. That is the other thing I hate about the AS oven, the damn arch is stack bond, the weakest way to build it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Why did you build your WFO?
Well, I bought a tower clock from Ireland on eBay. As night follows day, If you have a tower clock, you're going to need a tower...