Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Up in smoke? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/up-smoke-4044.html)

PizzaJNKY 05-14-2008 05:05 PM

Up in smoke?

Well, I started my first curing fire today. :D Its been burning for about 10 hours now, and my wife is not happy anymore.:( She said the inside of our house smells like a campground. She said I should have warned her...How the heck was I supposed to know the smoke would go in the house? I've never used a WFO before.

Any one else have this problem? Or solution?

asudavew 05-14-2008 05:17 PM

Re: Up in smoke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaJNKY (Post 32460)

Any one else have this problem?

No... but I could see it happening.
How bout keeping the windows and doors shut while curing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaJNKY (Post 32460)
Or solution?

Get rid of the wife.
The oven will cook better, it won't complain, and will be around for years.
:eek:

PizzaJNKY 05-14-2008 05:23 PM

Thanks Dave! Now thats what I call some sound, but funny advice.

asudavew 05-14-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaJNKY (Post 32462)
Thanks Dave! Now thats what I call some sound, but funny advice.

don't tell your wife...

and please don't tell mine! ;)

thebadger 05-14-2008 05:57 PM

Pizzajnky

Where's your oven in relation to your house???

What curing strategy areyou using....? Keep detailed records/postings.

Dick

james 05-14-2008 06:13 PM

Try burning really dry wood. It will put out very little smoke -- and it's a lot cheaper than changing wives (or husbands, as the case may be).

Your oven definitely should not smell like a campground!
James

PizzaJNKY 05-14-2008 06:26 PM

That could be it, wood might not be dry enough. I'm burning a combination of Modesto Ash, Fruitless mulberry and plum. My oven is 10' away from house, and I am using the curing method where I maintain first day fire at 300, second day at 350, third at 500, fourth at 600 then 700 on fifth. I think thats all it takes. I kind of messed up today, the fire was not getting hot enough, so I added a couple logs at once, and temperature of top of dome shot up to 580, yikes! Other than that, I've maintained it between 220 and 330. I didn't add thermocouplers, so I am only using an IR gun to measure temperature. The IR gun works great. I tested it against my bbq grill yesterday.

PizzaJNKY 05-15-2008 11:33 AM

2nd day of curing is going much better. I followed your Advice James. Last night, I put several logs in the oven and let them dry out with the retained heat. I just didn't have it in me to watch the fire over night. I got a late start today, 7 am, and so far the house does not smell like a campfire.

james 05-15-2008 01:16 PM

The house I grew up in had huge Modesto Ash trees in the front and back gardens. Great tree.

Can you feel the oven drying out -- and becoming easier to fire and heat up. Toward the end, I think you will feel it jump forward; ready to go.
James

PizzaJNKY 05-15-2008 02:08 PM

I'm loving it. I just read a post on "dirty steak." I just might try cooking those in the oven today. I wanted to wait for pizza, but its really hard letting the oven heat up for nothing.