Old 10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Spammers

OK. Give me a minute to research the software that will let us do this. The approach makes sense.

I'll be back...
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM

I notice that most posts now have two new buttons on them:

This returns "add infraction on 'user' ", user = poster name, and:

which says: "report post"
I assume these are our new anti-spam tools. Any instructions about using them?

Our latest drop-in spammer is advertising refractorys in Bristol, UK. This is actually something we could use, is a member in the refractory trade in the UK, if it were a real member rather than a spambot.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi David,

I have made you and Ken moderators, which is why you can see these new options. We have also installed new software (forum software 3.7.3, reCaptcha, and Akismet) today, which I am working my way through. Once it is all set up, I think we are going to be in pretty good shape. The spambot registrations should go down and I think it's going to be easier to put spam postings in a moderation que and delete them before they actually reach the forum. I'm hoping it will be easy to keep up and transparent to all of our users. At least that's our goal!

More to come, and the 3.7.3 and reCaptcha are already set up and working.

We can talk about legitimate vendors trying to gain visibility.

James

Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi David,

I have made you and Ken moderators, which is why you can see these new options. We have also installed new software (forum software 3.7.3, reCaptcha, and Akismet) today, which I am working my way through. Once it is all set up, I think we are going to be in pretty good shape. The spambot registrations should go down and I think it's going to be easier to put spam postings in a moderation que and delete them before they actually reach the forum. I'm hoping it will be easy to keep up and transparent to all of our users. At least that's our goal!

More to come, and the 3.7.3 and reCaptcha are already set up and working.

We can talk about legitimate vendors trying to gain visibility.

James
I think the Captcha stuff works great. It nearly eliminated spam on my website's guestbook. Now, Dmun and I just need to figure out what we can (or should) be doing as moderators.

Updated!