Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rain Saturated Oven

I had you in mind just the other day and wondered how you'd dealt with your water problem, nice to have an update. And I can fully sympathise with you wanting to sick with the igloo syle - in many ways an enclosed oven would have been more practical to build for me, too... but I just had this vision of how it should look...

Since last posting on this thread I decided that I was just immagining water seepage into my dome (I HOPE I'm right!), but since you started this thread I do check very carefully for damp spots before each firing.

You've certainly got one heck of a plan now! It sounds as if your oven will be overprotected if anything by the time you're finished with it. So go for it and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Frances, funny you have chimed in.
As I was picking up the bricks and stone with my wife on Thurs I commented on there being one item that I still needed - A "twirly bit" for the top of the dome.
My wife says no - stick with the natural/organic look of stone, so now I am searching the internet for a stone or cast finial (twirly bit) in a size that says "just right". So far, nothing but pineapples, artichokes, and pinecones - nothing that screams twirly bit.

The oven has been entirely fun, I guess I just want something a little whimsical to finish it off.

Overprotected? I sure hope so. I will never forget the day I found everything soaked, that was the most dejected I have ever been from dozens of projects over the years. The only time I've felt I really screwed up;to a large extent I did - I knew better than to leave that entry exposed. I figured a door and facing the entry away from the prevailing winds were enough. I also didn't think it could ever wick water so badly, even if it did get rained on a bit. Live and learn.

RT
Old 01-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thought I would report a slight setback to my recovering-waterproofing plan amd ask for everyones recomendations.

The ceramic blanket and rigidizer arrived this week from High Temp Refractory (ebay seller). Turns out the rigidizer FROZE SOLID (and was ready to explode) from the cross country trip via UPS last week during the worst of the cold. The stuff won't remix and has been deemed "bad" by Jeff at High Temp Ref. Jeff refunded my money rather than risk sending another jug during this time of year - Really a stand up guy, I didn't ask for a refund.
With no local suppliers of rigidizer I am looking for the most lightweight and solid product that I can apply directly over this extra layer of blanket. I just want a thin hardened shell before my pond liner goes on.
My questions - will SBC (surfacing bonding cement) work? I like the idea of having the fibers in the mix for strength. Should I just use stucco? Type S or N mortar? Keep in mind I want to apply it thin and will probably add a bit more water than recommended to get a consistancy that spread thin yet stays in place. I would rather not apply more than about a 1/8" or 3/16" coating.
I'm not too concerned about it cracking, I just don't want it to crumble under the weight of the liner and river rock that will cover it. That could lead to cracking of the mortar around the river rock.

RT
Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
so now I am searching the internet for a stone or cast finial (twirly bit) in a size that says "just right". So far, nothing but pineapples, artichokes, and pinecones - nothing that screams twirly bit.
Good for you, that sounds great! I do hope you find your just right something... and if I happen to stumble accross anything that might work (electronically that is) I'll be sure to let you know.

No useful advice on the mortar question though, sorry.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Serf

Chilling time... cheers.

|
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"So far, nothing but pineapples, artichokes, and pinecones - nothing that screams twirly bit."

I wandered thru my local second hand stores and ended up with an 8 inch diameter shallow copper bowl that looks just right on top of my igloo. It also covers my 1 inch diameter vent that communicates with he insulation layer.