Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pruning Apple Trees

Hi George
If your trees are pretty old some of them will go to a bi-annual bearing state. They will only bear fruit every other year. Your pruning has little or no effect when your trees hit this age. A commercial orchard depends upon yearly high yielding trees to remain profitable. They pull out thier trees and replace them evevy 6 to 7 years. Of course they also miss out on some great tasting apples.
If you're not sure if they are getting their pollen spread you could always light candles, play soft music and pollenate by hand.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencookie View Post
Hi George
If your trees are pretty old some of them will go to a bi-annual bearing state.
If you're not sure if they are getting their pollen spread you could always light candles, play soft music and pollenate by hand.

That seems to be the case from what I saw last year. Plus, with heavy pruning, I've read that they put all their energy into growing new wood and not producing fruit. Great input!

I did dance naked in front of the trees. Will that help?

-
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Journeyman

I did dance naked in front of the trees. Will that help? [/QUOTE]

OWoooooo Ouch Owooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The picture in my head is hurting me

Your wife must be a wonderful and patient woman, with no taste in men

Last edited by brokencookie; 01-17-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
If I scared away the birds, the deer would be next to harvest the vines. Whatta ya gonna do?
My favorite deer story is that you don't have to build a fence that is so high the deer cannot jump over it; you just have to build a fence higher than your neighbor -- so they eat his garden.

One time I startled a deer in our backyard, and he jumped a 7' fence without a run. He just bounced twice and was gone.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
I did dance naked in front of the trees. Will that help?

No wonder my trees don't bare much fruit! ...Oh wait, I'd have to get my husband to dance naked, right? Cool idea, I'll let you know what he said.
("C'mon, all the guys on the Pizzaforum do it, so it must work...")
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
My favorite deer story is that you don't have to build a fence that is so high the deer cannot jump over it; you just have to build a fence higher than your neighbor -- so they eat his garden.

James
That's a good thought. Those buggers can jump, huh? I always find half eaten apples below my trees. I have no idea how they get at them. They must fly up eight or more feet and help themselves.

-
Old 01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Deer meat taste good too

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yep! Venison is good! The owner of Brainbridge Island Vineyards (WA) took out one of his vineyard's offenders with a shotgun. I think it made it's way to the table.

Robins are the big problems with grapes around here. One of the other local growers near Seattle served robin pie to his fellow vintners without telling them what they were eating. Most were less than happy, but it makes for a great story.

G.

-
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sigh... I tried pruning my trees yesterday, too. It usually goes something like this:

Re-read pruning book, memorise most importat elemnts, go out into the garden armed with twig cutting tool thingy and lots of enthousiasm, cut randomly at various twigs which all look completely different from what's in the book, getting more and more confused all the while, give finally up in disgust - repeat whenever necessary.

Maybe this is a job I really should get someone else to do...
Old 01-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Journeyman

Further to earlier:
Bianca says she prunes during the season when the tree is dormant, except for the 'watershoots' that spring up vertically from existing branches - these can be taken out any time. If the trees are young, prune back to three or four good branches in different directions at different levels. I think she learned her pruning from an old Sunset Magazines book on the subject dating back to the 'Seventies.

Since we hardly get any fruit to ripen this year due to a mass migration of predators from neighbouring 'developments', she picks the up the unripe apples, pears, nashis etc. discarded by possums, Noisy Friarbirds, currawongs and the like and makes a quick stew that gets put into some early-settlers type of baked dish, similar to our European apple strudel. Tastes quite nice, too...

I'm thinking of applying for a shotgun permit :-)... (Haven't even begun to complain about the figbirds and magpies that are decimating a white and a black genoa figtrees in full daylight.) But with apples now costing $A6 to $A7 a kilo in the shops, I must find a way to beat the predators!

About the only fruit that's safe at the moment are oranges, lemons and limes - which is as well with limes costing $A1 each in the supermarket - and they are a third of the size of my Tahitians!

Cheers,

LMH

PS: I forgot the aptly-named butcher birds :-)

Last edited by carioca; 01-21-2008 at 02:19 AM.