Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: "Non Ordinary" meats you have eaten

Alligator and rabbit are about as adventurous as I've been. Also, buffalo and elk. Now my wife has eaten just about everything you can find down here in the south....including mountain oysters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Down around Brownsville somewhere, a long time ago, I had deep fried rattler in a truck stop. Wasn't bad at all, something like frogs' legs, and certainly beat out the corrosive chili. Didn't get over that part real soon, because I was on my way to Mexico at the time. No time to recover.

Jim
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Master Builder

Some very adventurous things here....

As a young lad I grew up in the Riverland country in SA where its all orchards and vineyards - they still had the open channel irrigation back then - we used to fish out some big yabbies (bit like an fresh water prawn but larger and a harder shell). Quite a light taste.
You had to watch out for the big brown snakes(very poisonous – killed my dog) that would get stuck in there.....gee if I was more adventurous I could have cooked and tried them as revenge

Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Apprentice

A few Northern Cree delicacies...
My list is long and varied now that I think of it. I spent a lot of time in fire camps with traditional elders cooking. They may have been respected elders, but most were not exceptional cooks.
Muskrat.. sauted, it was sort of like stringy chicken.
Rabbits Head Stew - most aboriginals traditionally boiled thier meats. It was common to hear of boiled pork chops, boiled bacon, boiled hamberger, etc. I think I experienced them all and all are less appetizing than they sound.... Rabbits Head stew was special, everything went into the pot, which was very large, and invaribly a rabbit skull would boil to the surface, grinning at you with its buck teeth and gray, cloudy eyes. Not my favorite meal, but it was memorable.
Various smoked, dried meats, all done on an open fire with natural smoke and no additives. Most common was dried rabbit and dried moose.
Most game meats, all were good, if well handled and butchered. Sometimes a little gamey.
Roasted Moose Nose.... considered to be a rare delicacy and if offered to you, it is a rare gift.
Roasted marrow, all the big bones are tossed into a fire then cracked to extract the marrow when cooked.
Bannock, a fried bread is alway served with any of the above.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Laborer

Spunkoid

You mentioned rabbit's head stew.......how about rolled pig's face (Porchetta di Testa)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_BodhAjrnKgk/Su...P1010014-1.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BodhAjrnKgk/Su...0/P1010008.JPG

Not so much of an unusual meat.....just a different approach to eating it.

Terry

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had whale steak (Minke whale) in Iceland. Texture like beef and with a strong liver taste.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyfradock View Post
Spunkoid

You mentioned rabbit's head stew.......how about rolled pig's face (Porchetta di Testa)

Terry
Can't say that I have tried that...
Did I mention Prairie Oysters? More of a traditional cowpoke meal on ranches in these parts during branding time... best sauted when fresh off the bull.... It's another one for the bucket list. Most common way to experience it before you go, is to attend and participate in a "testicle festival".
Another experience for the bucket list is a "sour toe cocktail" in Dawson City, YK. Sourtoe Cocktail Club
Done that one too....
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Laborer

What do you think about cooking this up in the coming season?
Lidl's reindeer meat: Backlash after budget supermarket's Christmas launch | Mail Online