Where did Noah keep his bees?
A. In the Ark hives.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Missing Bees???

The latest article.

There IS progress

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Missing Bees???

Major bee losses here in FL the past few years. what used to be an actual industry (beekeeping) is now a few soles left who have smaller colonies. FL beekeepers for decades were able to handle farms and groves throughout the south east, now there are not enough to pollenate the local crops. Reasons rainging from parasites killing the bees to to much infitration of africanized (killer) bees. I have actually seen many bees on several of my plants and shrubs, mostly the more aggressive African bees.

RT
Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

<makes note to never move to Florida>

Great article, Lburou! Thanks!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
to import a type of bumble bee into Au
There are Bumble bees in Tassie, Ive seen them.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Another possible vector against the honey bees here in the US

The latest via Google alerts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacy Gray

Now with todayís Food Forethought, hereís Lacy Gray.
Looks like scientists are getting closer to discovering the real cause behind colony collapse disorder, a phenomenon where worker bees abruptly disappear from their prospective hives, and it doesnít appear to be crop treatments or cell phone towers. Since 2006 honey bee colonies worldwide have drastically declined. With bees being of primary importance for the pollination of agricultural crops scientists have been working to discover the cause of the syndrome. Now, out of sheer happenstance, a biology professor in California collecting dead bees around his university for another project discovered strangely enough a parasitic fly larva emerging from the dead bees. Stranger yet is that scientists hadnít considered this particular parasitic fly as the culprit in honey bee colony collapse disorder since it had already been previously documented as parasitizing bumblebee and paper wasp populations. Scientists are also wondering now if this parasitic species of fly isnít also spreading other parasites and viruses into bee hives as well. It certainly seems to be one of those ďwell duhĒ moments for science, but better late than never for the bees.

Thanks Lacy. Thatís todayís Northwest Report. Iím Greg Martin on the Ag Information Network.
That reminds me of the parasitic wasp fostered by a University here in Texas to battle the fire ants....We'll sure be lucky if the wasp works against the fire ant populations, here and everywhere.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I live near the port of brisbane (Australia) and due to the incidents of both african and asian bee hives being found on containers, no european bee hive can be kept in the area. The native Australian Stingless Bee can be. Its a completely different insect. There small only 3mm long do not sting and are great little pollenators.

Missing Bees???-aust-native-bee.jpg

This is the hive in my garden and they range up to 1/2 km. They look like a very small fly rather than a bee shape and do not make any buzzing sounds. Once you know what to look for you'll find them everywere on the tomatoes, on the flowers, on the citrus and advocardo.
The hives small 300 mm high (12 in) and can be split into two halfs. You can split the hive when full either take the honey or add another 1/2 box and start a new hive. They don't produce wax like he traditional euopean bees do but rather collect plant waxes and resin to make the comb. Unlike european bee comb its not flat sheets but rather like a spiral that hangs from the roof and gets bigger as it goes down,.
As they collect resin for thier comb it gives the honey some interesting flavours. When I first got this hive it must have been near pine trees as it had an interesting pine tang. During the dry a lavender flavour. Since its rained well this year and the citris and orange blossom tree has blossom twice! I'm hopeing for a citrus tang. The honeys thinner than what you would used to, but very strong and flavoursome, I like mine on ice cream it will even dominate flavours like chocolate.
The lid of the box is thick ( yes with bees insulate! insulate! ) and has a space that you can put a small jar, the bees will fill this with honey and you can get a small sample from here without disturbing the main box.
If any Australians are interested you can find quite a bit on them on the net. You can buy a hive locally or make friend with a local tree lopper even.... but please don't be tempted to take a wild hive from its proper home.

Regards Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Journeyman

I have had European Bees in the past and we get native bees too.( I hate that they destroy rubber but everything else they do is great)
Orange honey is fantastic but you cant beat herb honey.
.................................................. ........................................
I think there a more reasons for hive collapse and industrial agriculture is part of the problem.
You get massive mono culture crops particularly Almonds in California that has apiarists from all over the US bring their bees to get infected and then return them home to spread the mites and diseases.
It will be interesting to see what effects industrial chemicals have had too.Insecticides and herbicides.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
I have had European Bees in the past and we get native bees too.( I hate that they destroy rubber but everything else they do is great)
Orange honey is fantastic but you cant beat herb honey.
.................................................. ........................................
I think there a more reasons for hive collapse and industrial agriculture is part of the problem.
You get massive mono culture crops particularly Almonds in California that has apiarists from all over the US bring their bees to get infected and then return them home to spread the mites and diseases.
It will be interesting to see what effects industrial chemicals have had too.Insecticides and herbicides.
Destroy rubber???? you'll have to explain that one

Regards dave
Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Journeyman

I've been told they eat rubber, they will eat the seals around your windows and strip rubber from your car.
I dont know if its for nest building, but the the guy who told me said he has seen all the rubber disappear on his car windows.
I have had the rubber grommet on my solar inverter chewed out in less than 6 months,I'm assuming its native bees.

dont know if its these guys?? but I do have those patterns on some tree leaves
Leafcutter Bee (genus Megachile)