Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: ***Miniature Wood Gasifier***

The gasifier reactor operates separately to produce the fuel and feeds it to the engine; you have to light the reactor before you can get the fuel to drive. See these photos of a honda with a gasifier mounted in the trunk with its outlet piped forward to feed the engine. (click the link to flickr or to the PicLens slideshow to see large versions)

Here's a cruder but very visually representative version in the bed of a pickup truck.

edit: Mark, thanks for the video link. It does a good job of showing the lighting procedure. Also, the first of the links I posted goes to one of the FEMA docs showing construction information. The others go to a group in Berkeley who produce semi-DIY kits that are pretty well engineered, if you don't really have quite so much free time as all that. They offer various levels of build, from prebuilt to DIY plans for a scratch build, with a very modular and customizable layouts to suit your application. They mostly focus on power generation and engines, but they also do biochar for agricultural use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cynon767; 10-13-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:43 PM

We talked about this a while ago, in connection with making charcoal:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...coal-3828.html (Making Charcoal?)

The retort uses the gas produced to intensify the heating of the retort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, Cynon. Dial up isn't really fond of You Tube so I couldn't see the video (unless I want to wait a week for it to upload). I appreciate the help - from you, too, Mark!

Dmun, is the retort the pipe coming from the top and going underneath?

Edit: Never mind - I found it in the linked thread.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]

Last edited by Archena; 10-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for all the liks guys,, There really is a ton of information, I actually started reading last night around 6,, Had to finally go to bed around 11:30 as my eyes were closing.. Im thinking now the car route might be a little more difficult, But definitely doable with the skills and tools I have, I am seriously condidering building one to run a generator to supplement houshold usage as my first project, I have to go thru all the sites now and find the most viable and cheapest... This site STAKProperties.com - We sell the highest quality and lowest cost energy products available!has one for 1950.00 complete and assembled as well as a bunch of interesting stuff... I have a 6500 watt generator for the electrical part,, I want to look at my electric bill and see what my actual usage is and if It would be worth any investment in this..

I think I build a 6 x 6 cincerblock shed and the gen and syngas unit would fit in it,,, Thinking if I insulate it well (and vent it well) It might help keep the noise down.. and keep the house safe...

All this reading is easy,,, Now is the thought and planning process that will take some time,,,

Thanks again everyone for all your help and Im still way open to suggestions and thoughts (including u guys telling me Im nuts), so feel free to keep em flying...
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You're nuts. But you should have figured that out when you started building an oven in your backyard.

I don't have time now but I have a large number of links on alternative energy - figuring costs, size, systems and a mind-boggling number of head exploding technical stuff. I could link a few of the best ones if you like. Or, if you're on Delicious, I'm Archena there as well.

[/CENTER]
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Journeyman

It's so nice to know there are other people like me in the world, ROFL. I have been preaching about Retorts, Gasifiers and brick ovens(among MANY other things) for years, and all I usually get are strange looks. Off and on in my spare time I've been working on a design for a waste oil gasifier. It takes too much wood to make my commute, but waste oil is MUCH more energy dense. That has led to some neat "discoveries". This stuff is just way too cool.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I could link a few of the best ones if you like. Or, if you're on Delicious, I'm Archena there as well.
thanks arch, you can email them if you would, I appreciate it, ThisOldGarageNJ@Gmail.com and I have no Idea what delicious is ??

Quote:
It's so nice to know there are other people like me in the world
shuboyje,,, U are not ALONE..... check out that Stakproperties.com,, they are in michigan,, they got some cool stuff and you will have some company...

Cheers guys,
Mark
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
German V1 unmanned missle planes that were powered by pulse-jet engines and have always wanted to build a small pulse-jet engine just to tinker with it. Perhaps next year, after the oven is complete...
ken,,, that would be cool.... is that like a solid rocket fuel kinda thing ?? now I have something else to google..
Cheers
Mark
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wood fired rockets?

[/CENTER]
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Wood fired rockets?
Why Not. The Mythbusters made a nitrous salami rocket and proved it was possible. As long as they don't try to make a pizza fueled rocket