Default Re: Masons

Thanks, guys!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maver,
Agreed....I'll go one step further; mixing all the concrete for the slabs. Foolishly, I've mixed everything by hand (55+ bags of concrete, 7 bags of mortar and still counting). Shoot, just hauling materials from my drive to my back yard wore me out each day. Seems to me just a couple of years ago nothing slowed me down Living very close to my neighbors didn't allow any kind of forklift delivery, not to mention my wife would have killed me for trashing the lawn.
Next project I'm taking the easy route - sitting next to the pool, eating pizza, drinking a cold one - while I supervise the guys I just hired.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:47 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

What about buying (or renting) an electric mixer for mixing up batches of mortar? I agree with the idea that carrying and mixing the mortar and concrete is most pain-inducing part of the project.

I've used a heavy duty mixer for the mortar and it helps.

And have everything delivered! Don't pick anything up.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Would that be practical for small batches, though? Not sure what a mixer would cost or if it would be worthwhile for the small (1/2 bag or less) batches I'd have in mind. Renting one for the slab pour makes sense - although I'd likely contract that out. You only get once to do it right and I'm not sure I'd be up to that task.

How would you store that stuff if you have a pallet full of bags delivered? I'm thinking rain on bags of concrete is a bad thing - and I won't have a basement or the like at my new place.

~sigh~ I'll have retired by the time I get the stand up....

[/CENTER]
Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Contracting the slabs or renting/buying a mixer are the only way to go. I learned my lesson.
As for the materials, with the limited access down the side of my house, delivery was dropped in my drive and I then had to move into my garage (weather concerns). Used 1/2 of my garage as a staging area for materials, then, as needed, loaded my wheel barrow and hauled materials to the back. This seemed as tiring as the mixing (at least all those bags of concrete).

If at all possible have you materials dropped next to the site and tarp it really well. Your body will appreciate it.

I have not found a good method for mixing small batches of mortar, other than by hand. I'm pretty picky about getting the consistancy just right, to me it is just as much about 'feel' as how it looks. I've tried the paddle mixers on a heavy duty drill - didn't care for it (doesn't get it off the sides or bottom very well).

Maybe CJ (CanuckJim) can give his thoughts when his computer is up an running again. He is the resident expert on masonry.

RT
Old 05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hah, I can see that I wasn't clear!

For mixing small batches, you can use a beefy electric drill with a mixer attachment.

Better?
James

Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

~nods~ Yep! That helps a lot!

[/CENTER]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

To supplement James' response, a picture of my favorite tool, purchased at Home Depot:
Attached Thumbnails
Masons-img_0822.jpg  
Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can do that with a cordless?! Wow!

[/CENTER]
Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jahysea,

I have one of those - I bought it to mix the thinset for my tile. I've been mixing the mortar in a wheelbarrow with a shovel, which leads me back to my original post - my back hurts! I'm taking a week off starting this Friday, vacation in Sedona Arizona; when I return, I only have 200 more brick to lay. Then it's 10 pallets of paver's followed by the oven!!!! It's nice to have a plan

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.