Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Kids back in school (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/kids-back-school-4980.html)

james 09-03-2008 02:21 PM

Kids back in school

Our two daughters had their first day of school today. 5th and 10th grade.

It's funny. You get used to the summer schedule, then boom; they're back in school. It's sure quiet today.

James

egalecki 09-03-2008 02:25 PM

Re: Kids back in school

I took my two youngest to college a week ago- it's as quiet as a tomb around here with only one (my husband's youngest) left! She's started school too, and the dogs are so confused about no one to play with or follow around for food!

Enjoy them while you have them at home!

mfiore 09-03-2008 02:34 PM

Our son started Kindergarden Tuesday, and our baby started crawling the same day. My wife and I were a wreck. I think we are going to be terrible empty-nesters when everyone's gone off to college.

Les 09-03-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfiore (Post 40457)
I think we are going to be terrible empty-nesters when everyone's gone off to college.

I'm not finding it that bad:) My wife on the other hand....

james 09-03-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egalecki (Post 40456)
Enjoy them while you have them at home!

My brother is a new empty-nester -- he has a freshman and sophomore in college. He says it's difficult for him and his wife to decide what cook. "Want to split a chicken breast?"

They're not doing well.
James

asudavew 09-03-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfiore (Post 40457)
I think we are going to be terrible empty-nesters when everyone's gone off to college.

Nah... Teenagers will cure what ails ya!

enjoy em while they are still little!

you will miss them

dave

Frances 09-04-2008 02:15 AM

What you need in a situation like that is a project to keep you occupied... you know, build a pizza oven or something :)

My two youngest started kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. So far I'm really enjoying my quiet mornings - and the kids more than make up for it in the afternoons!

But once they leave home... that'll be a whole different kettle of fish. It must feel very weird.

egalecki 09-04-2008 12:35 PM

It does feel weird. I keep having to get out smaller pots and pans- I haven't used a 1 quart pot in years, I kid you not. I can look at recipes for 4. I don't have to think about doubling everything I make.

The worst is the quiet, though. My kids were pretty loud. The house is so quiet it's scary...

sarah h 09-04-2008 05:49 PM

HTML Code:

The house is so quiet it's scary...
My two are still here and we recently - and unexpectedly - expanded to include a third teenager. I am living in a three-ring circus and the start of school has tipped us over the edge into total bedlam - Elizabeth, can I come and live at your place?!!

I guess with kids, it's sort of feast or famine - crazy when they're around, crazy quiet when they're gone. Are yours far away or close enough to make weekends home easy?

egalecki 09-04-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah h (Post 40554)
HTML Code:

The house is so quiet it's scary...
My two are still here and we recently - and unexpectedly - expanded to include a third teenager. I am living in a three-ring circus and the start of school has tipped us over the edge into total bedlam - Elizabeth, can I come and live at your place?!!

I guess with kids, it's sort of feast or famine - crazy when they're around, crazy quiet when they're gone. Are yours far away or close enough to make weekends home easy?

They're all within easy reach- I'll see them, but they're all having such fun that I doubt there will be many weekends home this semester! Football games are a big draw at college, you know... ;)

You can come on over here any time you need some peace. A third teenager can make the balance of power a bit precarious, huh?