Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Ingredients in the Back Yard (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/ingredients-back-yard-12431.html)

Archena 04-02-2010 04:46 AM

Ingredients in the Back Yard

Otherwise known as a garden.

It's almost spring planting time here. I didn't plant any early spring veggies but I can't wait until I can poke tomatoes into a container (I'm experimenting with gallon size plastic bottles as a homemade version of Topsy Turvy [sup]TM[/sup]). This weekend I'm hoping to plant blackberries - I love blackberries!

So, what's up in your gardens?

trockyh 04-02-2010 07:33 AM

Re: Ingredients in the Back Yard

I'd suggest planting your tomatoes in ground. Their roots go deep, they just don't do as well in containers.

david s 04-02-2010 01:05 PM

And basil beside the oven.

brokencookie 04-02-2010 02:05 PM

" This weekend I'm hoping to plant blackberries - I love blackberries! "

PLANT BLACKBERRIES ?????? :eek: :confused:

Wow...here in the Northwest they are frequent and unwanted weeds that must be attacked with goats and deadly chemicals :cool:

Tscarborough 04-02-2010 06:16 PM

Rosemary, Thyme, Dill, and Chiltepin , plus volunteer Serrano, Tabasco, and Cayenne peppers.

SCChris 04-02-2010 06:19 PM

I hope to get tomatoes going that'll really produce this year. Basil is a no brainer, but tomatoes.. I think the May June July weather, what we call "June Gloom" locally, keeps the soil temps a bit on the low side and the moisture of this foggy weather along the coast is perfect for mold.. I started a thread in the local section to see what others in my area have real sucess with.

Chris

Archena 04-02-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trockyh (Post 86089)
I'd suggest planting your tomatoes in ground. Their roots go deep, they just don't do as well in containers.

No can do - tomatoes don't do so well when trounced by over-exuberant dogs, either.

Archena 04-02-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokencookie (Post 86120)
" This weekend I'm hoping to plant blackberries - I love blackberries! "

PLANT BLACKBERRIES ?????? :eek: :confused:

Wow...here in the Northwest they are frequent and unwanted weeds that must be attacked with goats and deadly chemicals :cool:

We have kudzu - blackberries are considered a minor nuisance in comparison.

I'm perfectly willing to attack wild blackberries with a bucket! :cool:

fljaweiu 12-15-2010 01:20 AM

Hi,
Thank you sharing with me. i really looking for such search process.
:D

Lburou 01-07-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archena (Post 86080)
Otherwise known as a garden.

It's almost spring planting time here. I didn't plant any early spring veggies but I can't wait until I can poke tomatoes into a container (I'm experimenting with gallon size plastic bottles as a homemade version of Topsy Turvy [sup]TM[/sup]). This weekend I'm hoping to plant blackberries - I love blackberries!

So, what's up in your gardens?

How did the topsy turvy experiment turn out?

Ours made plants but no zucchini, and a few small tomatoes. Not doing that again... :)