Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Indoor or outdoor? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/indoor-outdoor-2105.html)

DrakeRemoray 06-14-2007 11:14 AM

Indoor or outdoor?

Hi All,

I have a friend who is about to gut a house here in Denver. She will remodel and live here when it is done. She very much wants a wood burning oven and has the means to put it in the kitchen.

She was debating that it might be more fun to have it outside than inside.

I personally like it outside, but we do have winter here, so it is clearly more usable year round if it is inside.

I also told her the best option might be a nice covered outdoor kitchen area.

If you had the means, would you put your wood fired oven in the house or outside?

Drake

CanuckJim 06-14-2007 11:21 AM

Re: Indoor or outdoor?

Drake,

If I really, really had the means, I'd do both. Smaller for the inside, larger outside. Around here, people sort of hibernate in winter, and it would be nice to bake up a pizza or some bread without going outside at all.

Jim

Richard 06-14-2007 12:14 PM

I would also do both given the opportunity.
Based on a colder climate would recommend indoor and use daily for all types of cooking, roasting, baking

DrakeRemoray 06-14-2007 12:22 PM

OK, but if you had to choose...

jengineer 06-14-2007 12:55 PM

Covered outdoor kitchen. In the kitchen area have double french doors, that allow access to a covered kitchen with sink and countertops. Preferreably on a southern or eastern exposure. Low walls with widnows that can totally removed for the summer (yep you need to create shed designed for the storage of the windows/screens. Some windows that are double hung are quite easy to remove. This will give a nice open air feeling to the place.

Richard 06-14-2007 01:14 PM

Indoor - 39 to 43 inch diameter

james 06-14-2007 01:27 PM

I have both, but I think if I had to choose I would go outside. It depends a lot on your weather. In CA and Italy, we get to use our outdoor ovens most of the year -- if not all of it. I have fond memories of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years in rain and light snow. But nothing serious.

So I guess this means I am answering under one set of conditions. Were I in a colder climate, or shorter outdoor living season, then I would have to reconsider.

We could have a poll. :-)

James

RTflorida 06-14-2007 02:59 PM

My 2 cents. To me the climate is the deciding factor. I love the outdoors, so in an area with great weather most of the year; I would choose an outdoor oven.
Frequent snow, freezing rain, or torrential rain (much like we are starting to see here in FL) would make me opt for an indoor oven. Wasn't an option for me.....would have involved a very extensive and expensive remodel to create the needed space. I'm sure I have many 'rain outs' to look forward to in the next 4 months:mad:

RT

Archena 06-14-2007 05:22 PM

If I were sure I'd use it a lot definitely indoors. Also, climate extremes work the other way, too. Alabama gets hot and muggy meaning an outdoor fire is not going to be a pleasant thing to get anywhere near. 100 degrees at 80% humidity and I guarantee you'll be making homemade ice cream in front of the TV instead.

Then there are mosquitoes - ours scare wasps. What I might brave on a cool evening I'm not going near on a hot night. Citronella smells good - doesn't work worth a darn...

RTflorida 06-14-2007 05:56 PM

Archena, you brought up two more valid points that apply to me as well - mosquitoes and heat/humidity. The bugs are about to start their onslaught after our recent rains. Have already experienced the heat/humidity this past weekend, about passed out from making pizzas on Saturday.
I will tough it through the heat.....the mosquitoes WILL put a serious damper on evening cooking.

I change my vote, if at all possible, regardless of climate, build it indoors.