Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   I'm sick Sick SICK of winter!!! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/im-sick-sick-sick-winter-3372.html)

sarah h 02-17-2008 06:16 PM

I'm sick Sick SICK of winter!!!

I knew it ... no sooner than I get my oven built, it's followed by the winter that just won't quit - the snow that never ends (for Frances - sung to the tune of 'The Song that Never Ends') - unless it decides to freeze rain and lay a coat of ice on everything. Some of you might have been thinking it was my baking disasters that have kept my oven dark & cold but I'd be out there if I could. I can't remember a winter this bad for snow ... and I have been around for a while ;) . It's the kind I prayed for when I was a kid ... so I finally got it. Mother Nature has a warped sense of humour. :mad:
'... it just goes on & on my friends ...'

Sarah

asudavew 02-17-2008 06:29 PM

Re: I'm sick Sick SICK of winter!!!

Sorry Sarah...

But do not fret..

The earth is quickly warming... and snow will be a thing of the past. :eek:

Summer will be here soon and you can cook everyday... to make up for this horrid winter.

Hope all is well otherwise.

Dave

sarah h 02-17-2008 08:31 PM

Thanks Dave - I'll be fine ... cabin fever always hits around this time. Usually all I can think of is getting back into the boat and out on the lake but this year I've hardly thought of it - I just want back out into the yard to bake in the oven and get started on the finish!

gjbingham 02-17-2008 09:27 PM

Sarah,
Hang in there. A month or so and you're back in biz.
Sorry to say that the weather is awesome here. How about a move to Vancouver?

Xabia Jim 02-17-2008 11:30 PM

Winter and your state of mind depend a lot on geography.....

The year my daughter was born we had 390.6 inches of snow in the Keweenaw, a record! A couple of years before that, somewhere north of Flin Flon, I remember looking at a thermometer in the morning with a lighter, it was 38 degrees below zero and we went to work because our cutoff temp was 40 below (that's the same temp in F or C)

I now try to be further south in the "winter":)

but it probably makes you appreciate your oven even more.....

Frances 02-18-2008 12:19 AM

Ah Sarah, same here - partially.

Our Winter so far has brought us no snow at all :( and lots of sunny days, which are nice for baking, but its so cold and always hits well below freezing at night. I am soooo itching to get out there and work on finishing the oven, and every time we get a strong wind I worry that the tarps will blow off...

Still, first Crocusses have started flowering, so Spring can't be that far off.

Swap you one weekend's bread baking for a week of snow?

RCLake 02-18-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xabia Jim (Post 24429)
Winter and your state of mind depend a lot on geography.....

The year my daughter was born we had 390.6 inches of snow in the Keweenaw, a record! A couple of years before that, somewhere north of Flin Flon, I remember looking at a thermometer in the morning with a lighter, it was 38 degrees below zero and we went to work because our cutoff temp was 40 below (that's the same temp in F or C)

I remember that 40 below is the same in F or C, not because of class work but because we hit it one week at the U of North Dakota when the high for the week was 20 below.
Now try figuring out why we are in Texas:rolleyes: