Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How's your Spring shaping up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Sounds perfectly nasty to me! I'm sure its fine if cooked correctly, but just the description alone has my eyes watering and stomach churning in a bad way. Somebody's going to have to sneak it onto my plate someday to get me to eat it!
The morcilla we buy is from the cheese/meat vendor in the market. It's hanging overhead in those pictures. I refrigerate it and it's eaten cold in slices. Also with mustard in a sandwich. Others are cooked on the BBQ for a mixed grill dinner.

I've always said that you can eat anything if you know how to cook it. I remember a quote of my dad about "hanging meat until it drops to the larder floor" Choice vs necessity gives perspective. Those famous serrano hams of Spain are brined and hung....I don't beleive they are ever cooked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think you're right about the hams. They look just like prosciutto when you cut them thin.

I agree with your dad too XJ. Sometimes knowing what you're eating ruins the opportunity to give the food an unbiased taste.

-
Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabia Jim View Post
Why I'm not in Michigan yet...

"Well, it is not exactly good boating on the Great Lakes yet.....there has been rough going on northern Lake Michigan as the commercial shipping season has re-commenced for the year. In the last several days, two 1,000 foot ships have come into port with damaged hulls from ramming through heavy ice conditions on northern Lake Michigan. Both are laid up for repairs. I read this morning of a 634 foot laker which was stuck in the ice in Lake Michigan. A 767 foot ship trying to free it inadvertently rammed it causing damaged to both ships. Ah, for the good old days of global warming."
The saga continues..."Well, the marine forecast into tonight for Lake Superior is for 50+ knot winds, 20 foot seas, and 2 feet of new snow in Duluth, MN. (On top of the snow which came earlier in the week.) We'll probably will not take the boat out tonight. But it is mid-April already! Where is global warming when we need it?"

20 foot seas on 'the big lake they call Gitchee Gumee'....

...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

XJ,

I've been up to Lake Superior several times, and I've never seen it calm. I worked with a highly experienced canoeist on several of his technique books. The man was a master. He drowned in Lake Superior, canoeing alone, but very close to shore.

Jim
Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That forcast makes me shiver from 2500 miles away. Wind swell is so nasty/choppy, even on the big lakes. It makes for great surfing waves in the oceans when the storms are a thousand or two miles away. I can't imagine going out on Superior in less than perfect conditions.

XJ - I thought you were in Spain right now. Sounds more like Michigan. I'd be interested to hear how you time your commings and goings.

-
Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Sounds perfectly nasty to me! I'm sure its fine if cooked correctly, but just the description alone has my eyes watering and stomach churning in a bad way. Somebody's going to have to sneak it onto my plate someday to get me to eat it!
Just for George............ ...........my very own stash. All natural product with only 1 E-number (chemical nasties) E451, a stabilizer. Brought as a Red Cross parcel by a true friend. Now my only access to many delicacies from the Old Country.

How's your Spring shaping up?-black-pudding.jpg

Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

XJ - I thought you were in Spain right now. Sounds more like Michigan. I'd be interested to hear how you time your commings and goings.
I'm still where it's warm George.....but I keep tabs on another Chat site about boating on the great loop.....a bit like having two girlfriends...

And CJ, it's rare but I've seen Superior a sheet of glass and warm enough to swim in all day.....again I said it's rare! It's an awesome lake when it kicks up a storm...particularly in the winter.

...enjoy every sandwich!