Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Ive seen those
the tech was sold to Germany.
They are excellent but how long is "cheap" natural gas going to last for if it starts being used to maintain a global car and truck fleet ??
Pritchard the Steam Car guy has a steam powered generator that uses what ever you have to run the furnace rice husks coconuts wood fish and chip oil anything.
Uniflow Power Ltd - Renewable Energy and Resource Efficiency
This sounds promising if the price is right.
The technology wasn't sold to Germany, the Australian company owns the technology. The company, not given assistance in Australia, went to Germany where they were given assistance by a more enlightened government and they set up a manufacturing facility there. Fuel cells don't burn the fuel, but use a chemical process to convert the energy from chemical to electrical with extremely low emissions and very high efficiency.

Many large truck fleets have already switched to gas.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Guesstimate would be 14-16 city and 18-20+ highway...based on some consistencies..
I did the conversion for the fuel economy and you get just under 6kms per litre, or use 17 litres per 100 kls.(or theres about)

I get just under 7kms per liter in the 5.4l petrol, or use 15 litres per 100 kls.

Petrol here at the moment is A$1.45 per litre, or A$6.52, I think diesel is the same price.

If the maths is wrong Im sure Ill get told.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
The technology wasn't sold to Germany, the Australian company owns the technology. The company, not given assistance in Australia, went to Germany where they were given assistance by a more enlightened government and they set up a manufacturing facility there. Fuel cells don't burn the fuel, but use a chemical process to convert the energy from chemical to electrical with extremely low emissions and very high efficiency.

Many large truck fleets have already switched to gas.
Are you talking about Blue Gen ?
BlueGen Technology
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Are you talking about Blue Gen ?
BlueGen Technology
yes, that's it.
Also go to
https://www.bluegen.net
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
I did the conversion for the fuel economy and you get just under 6kms per litre, or use 17 litres per 100 kls.(or theres about)

I get just under 7kms per liter in the 5.4l petrol, or use 15 litres per 100 kls.

Petrol here at the moment is A$1.45 per litre, or A$6.52, I think diesel is the same price.

My electric bike costs around $0.10 per 100 km, or two cents for my 20km round trip to work and home again. Powered by coal of course, until I get solar panels for the roof.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post

Sounds like your diesel costs about the same as here. However, gasoline is quite a bit cheaper in Auz. If your truck is 4WD you are getting very good mileage.

Stonecutter: what does your diesel fuel cost per gallon now?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here in SC I'm paying $3.65 gl

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Here in SC I'm paying $3.65 gl
Wow, that's just under a dollar a litre! We'd call that cheap. Is it common practice in the US to have vehicles converted to run on petrol or gas? It certainly is here in Australia.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Is it common practice in the US to have vehicles converted to run on petrol or gas?
What do you mean, coverted? From what?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
yes, that's it.
Also go to
https://www.bluegen.net
Hello David s-
Looked at the homepage, everything is very interesting but for a couple of things that were left out or touched upon just lightly:

What does the equipment cost?

What does the electricity cost to produce; equipment cost + natural gas cost + maintenance cost divided over the relative short lifetime of the equipment (they say lifespan typical to a water heater)?

There is no incentive by the governments to install this type of equipment.

There is no mandate requiring electric utility companies to purchase back excess electricity or any fixed rate.

What amount of efficiency is lost in the inverter phase DC to AC conversion.

Japan has incentive programs to help pay the original installation cost of solar; and a mandate requiring electric utilities to purchase back excess electricity.

One big thing they do not have is a mandate requiring electrical utilities to provide transmission feed ins for remote areas where solar could be installed on unproductive lands or where large wind farms could produce consistent amounts of electricity.

When you continue to try to produce electricity from fossil fuels even with advanced technologies, you delay the research into clean non-fossil fuel technologies.

Maybe the biggest problem in developing clean fuel technology is the power of the large oil companies, oil producing counties, and central governments.

The oil companies do not want to lose their golden egg.

Same goes for OPEC -- take away world dependence on their oil and what do they have? In many cases desert waste land.

As for central governments--how do you put a tax on sunshine to pay for highway infrastructure improvements. But if there were a new technology, I'm sure they would find a way.