Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Planned redundancy, you gotta love it.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Master Builder

Ever think about returning it to the place you purchased it. Here, when I have a problem, I call the salesman and he comes to my jobsite OR house and takes care of problems that I might have with their products. They are excellent at resolving problems so that I do not have to guess what is wrong with my cordless tools. They cost "WAY TOO MUCH" to be fiddling around with them when you don't know what your doing! But that is just the "Troll speaking"! Better get the answers from the manufacturer--they know what the heck their talking about! Better you work with bricks and Portland than something that is so confusing like electricity!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Sorry brickie I don't reach for a goggle search at all times , but I did at your suggestion. Among the clips of people trying to overload a makita overload saftey I did find some interesting info. Those makita Li-ion battery's indeed have a protection chip connected to one cell that will eventually flatten that cell and after 3 attempts at charging it shuts the the whole battery down permanently. Enforced redundancy all right and knowing the money there worth I recon your pretty frustrated. So what you have done is override the shut down chip with the chip from the other battery I supposse. But it is a protection chip to prevent battery melt down.
Be interested to see what makita does in the future, your suppose to be buying the best that's why you pay good money
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 12-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Journeyman

Best way to avoid this is to get a hand cranked drill
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Master Builder

All manufacturers of power tools in Japan carry a one year warranty on the products that they produce. So back to my original post--contact the dealer you purchased the product for repairs. If you purchased it on line from the cheapest source, maybe your tool is not new or is a reject or China knock off. When you screw around with it yourself, you immediately void any warranties. Hitachi also has a great new impac driver 18V 4ah with all the bells and whistles. 4 speeds plus reverse, light switch option, battery level indicator, one of the speeds is for tex --fast start, then changes to slow for tapping function. AND COLORS ! White, Black, Pink, Green, Yellow! So you can keep track of the tools that are yours when working on a jobsite! Also, every manufacturer has English speaking staff to take care of your problems. You just have to ask when you initially make contact. "Can you speak English?", also in any written communication, they will respond in English as well. If in the end, you don't like the service, buy another brand!

Last edited by mikku; 12-09-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Apprentice

A friend gave me a Hitachi 18 volt drill last summer as a gift. I have had nothing but problems with it from day one. The batteries won't hold a charge, the batteries won't stay in the drill (have to use electrical tape or duct tape to secure them in place), the chuck won't stay in the drill position (it keeps popping into the clutch position), the flashlight had a bad bulb (ten dollars to replace...not covered under warranty). The Hitachi drills are a piece of crpa from my opinion. I have a 25 year old 12 volt DeWalt which performs a LOT better than the Hitachi. ....just my opinion...I won't ever purchase a Hitachi battery drill. (Although their cord drills may be fine).
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Master Builder

I'm talking about an impac driver, no chuck, 6mm 6-sided snap in socket chuck, battery lasts even when in heavy use all day. Set comes with case, 2 batteries, charger, costs $421 wholesale at today's exchange rate.

You must have a very good friend to give such pricy gifts or your talking about a different animal entirely.

I saw tools for sale at HomeDepot a few years ago when I was back home, slide saws, circle saws, cordless tool sets--they were all DIY quality products. They might have had the manufacturer name on them but were definitely different than pro use tools.

The Hitachi impac is streamline design, compact and easy to handle. The USA manufacturered drills were bulky, heavy, and not user friendly like using a Viking sword where a scalpel would be appropriate.

Same goes for trucks: Big puffy bodies, huge engines, suspension that cannot carry a load. Guzzles gas, awkward, need to pull a trailer behind because the truck cannot carry the load.

Even the 1ton units are a joke, look like over-the-road long haul rigs but equally useless!

Bought a new one the last time I was home, ended up returning it under the LEMON LAW! Pile of crap, Chevrolet, engine leaked oil, tires rubbed wheel wells on turning (with stock tires), engine shut down when shifting into reverse, then would not restart! junk, junk, junk!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Apprentice

Mikku, We are definitely talking about different scale of tools. Sounds like you are talking professional level and i am talking DIY level. I also agree with you about the truck. But then I am not into construction anymore either. retired and loving every minute!!! I am a subaru lover...on my 4th one and each has lasted well over 200,00 miles.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Master Builder

My work vehicle is a Toyota HiAce Super GL, rated at 1.25T van. I can load the thing (long body) with tools and materials so that I cannot see out the back and it handles well, doesn't squat, needs only oil changes and filter on regular basis. Now it has 130,000 miles on it and just changed the brake pads for the first time. 3.0 liter diesel gets 25 miles per gallon regularly even with a load. Mileage drops if you are driving over the speed limit on the pay highways though but not by much. This too is my 4th but previous ones I never have driven for so long. Now I am beginning to appreciate a well built vehicle--specially when new ones cost so much.

Fuel consumption is a major concern when diesel sells for $5.20/gal and regular at $5.90/gal. So low maintenance, long lasting vehicles are appreciated.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer54 View Post
A friend gave me a Hitachi 18 volt drill last summer as a gift. I have had nothing but problems with it from day one. The batteries won't hold a charge, the batteries won't stay in the drill (have to use electrical tape or duct tape to secure them in place), the chuck won't stay in the drill position (it keeps popping into the clutch position), the flashlight had a bad bulb (ten dollars to replace...not covered under warranty).
Kan - I may be going out on a limb here but I think that is why he "gave" it to you

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.