Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Geese Problem (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/geese-problem-6230.html)

tomspiro008 03-03-2009 02:28 AM

Geese Problem

Hello friends,
I want to keep away geese from my home.
because they bite and also spoil the place.
any suggestion.

gjbingham 03-03-2009 07:50 PM

Re: Geese Problem

Build a pizza oven! That should solve the problem!
Stupid Geese!

Les 03-03-2009 08:02 PM

Do a google - seems to be quite a few solutions. Here is one.

AwayWithGeese.com

I know for a fact that a 12 ga shotgun works :D

Les...

dmun 03-03-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

AwayWithGeese.com does not promote the practice of using harmful chemicals in order to disperse or injure geese.
Quote:

I know for a fact that a 12 ga shotgun works.
I wonder if lead pellets are considered a harmful chemical.

Jed 03-03-2009 09:00 PM

Turns out by federal regulation, most places you hunt geese you are required to use steel pellets... so no need to worry about the lead ... :)

JED

gjbingham 03-03-2009 11:23 PM

Hmmmm, why isn't lead spelled led? Why didn't we just stick with the original latin name plumbum?

Perhaps it became a gay term of endearment, something like sweet-cheeks, and we rough-riding, beer swilling, dome building macho types just couldn't tolerate the cutsie association with our most beloved metal in buck shot and fishing weights. The unfortunate mis-spelling has left millions wondering ever since.
Then again, why isn't walk spelled wok?.................

Stupid geese! See all the problems they cause!

bimbo 03-04-2009 12:03 AM

mmmmm wood fired goose

tomspiro008 03-04-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 51798)
Do a google - seems to be quite a few solutions. Here is one.

AwayWithGeese.com

I know for a fact that a 12 ga shotgun works :D

Les...

Hi,
I review your site. I got surprise.
I have little query.
How is work?

Alfredo 03-04-2009 08:03 AM

Geese are a huge problem in the public spaces in and around Toronto. The city has a pack of dogs that they rotate among the parks to chase the geese away, but that doesn't last (it might at your home, though. Good excuse to get a dog :cool:) The other thing the city does is let the grass grow longer than they normally would - apparently geese don't like their tushies tickled ;).

The suburban office I work in is in an area that was farm land 15 years ago :( and is still not fully developed. The building sits in the middle of a huge asphalt parking lot and is flanked by open fields - prime topography for geese to nest and breed. In about a month the parents will lead the annual spring parade past my office window - last year we counted 37 goslings!

The problem is that geese are essentially flying, waddling food processors; in one end and out the other like...well, like grain through a goose, as country folk say. The average Canada goose drops a kilo of poop per day :eek:. This made getting from the ofice to your car something of a challenge until the plant manager did a bit of research (including at local airports, which employ hawks to control the flocks) and found out that geese do not like the smell of vinegar. About mid-summer last year they sprayed the parking lot with a diluted vinegar solution and hey, presto! no more slimy green mess. Might be worth a try.

gjbingham 03-04-2009 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a thought: