Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Favorite Sandwiches? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/favorite-sandwiches-3394.html)

Xabia Jim 02-21-2008 12:04 AM

Favorite Sandwiches?

Talking marmite made me think of sandwiches....

A favorite in my wife's family (particularly the males) was peanut butter and sardines with thimbleberry jam on dense rye bread.:eek:

I'm sure there are some other interesting combinations out here.

XJ

Frances 02-21-2008 05:46 AM

Re: Favorite Sandwiches?

This may be too tame, but Swiss people often eat cheese and jam sandwiches, specially when skiing or hiking.

...come to think of it, maybe its just me who does it, I'm not really sure.

A nice thick slice of fresh brown bread, a couple of chunks of strong tasting cheese (Gruyere is good, or Appenzeller) and a generous helping of homemade blackberry jam on top. Mmmmh...

james 02-22-2008 07:07 PM

A hot cast iron grill pan and cast iron press. Good sourdough sliced bread with munster cheese. Brush a little EVO on each side right before you sear it. A great panini.

James

asudavew 02-22-2008 07:17 PM

ham and cheese?

james 02-22-2008 07:46 PM

Or Tuna -- but only packed in Olive Oil.

Who invented tuna in water? Very sad.
James

gjbingham 02-22-2008 08:52 PM

Egg Salad with onions and lots of spices sounds really good right now. That or a BLT on toasted bread.

XJ. Lots of interesting questions. Are you an instigator in your real life too?

Xabia Jim 02-23-2008 12:28 AM

Note that I have not posted my favorite sandwich yet!!!

I play off the inspiration of others;)

I've wanted a pannini grill for ages....gotta get one now.

Bacterium 02-23-2008 03:05 AM

Continental bread (local italian rustic loaf), spit roast lamb, grilled haloumi cheese and then squeeze lemon over the top......and some EVOO if its not moist enough

Xabia Jim 02-23-2008 05:39 AM

Damon, that's interesting with the lemon. Our favorite restaurant here serves their chuletas (lamb chops) with a lemon to squeeze over it.

CanuckJim 02-23-2008 08:28 AM

XJ,

A very simple one from my childhood, with a few tweaks: Two slices of hearth bread, spread each with Dijon mustard, layer on really old cheddar and best shaved ham, thickly butter the outside of one slice, place in frying pan (or sheet pan in the WFO if you're making lots) fry first side till brown, thickly butter remaining side, flip over, put a weight on it or press down with a spatula. Fry until second side is well browned and cheese is melted. Add some sauerkraut to the mix for a Reuben. Now that's healthy. You get an entire week's worth of fat in one go. Very efficient.

Jim