Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/)
-   -   Earthquake... Did you feel it? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/earthquake-did-you-feel-3830.html)

Ken524 04-18-2008 08:29 AM

Earthquake... Did you feel it?

At about 5:30 this morning my oldest son and I were jolted awake from the 5.3 earthquake that hit the central US today. My wife was working 3rd shift at the hospital and felt it as well.

Apparently, the quake was felt as far north as Milwaukee/Chicago, and all the way down to St. Louis, Evansville, Louisville.

You guys on the "Left" coast are used to this. The rest of us are pretty much amateurs.

Did you feel the quake?

mfiore 04-18-2008 08:52 AM

Re: Earthquake... Did you feel it?

I live in Michigan. Never have felt an earthquake in my life.

Ed_ 04-18-2008 09:45 AM

There were a couple of reports of people who felt it in Des Moines (half hour drive south of where I live). That's 450 miles from the epicenter, though; I think you'd have to have been awake already to notice it. My only experience with earthquakes was a small one in St. Louis in 1990.

gjbingham 04-18-2008 10:22 AM

Cool, huh? You're absolutely at the mercy of the quake. You can't go down in a storm cellar and just let it pass. A very helpless feeling indeed.

Alfredo 04-18-2008 10:24 AM

Illinois earthquake rattles southern Ontario

Kitchener is about 100kms west and north of Toronto. This one did not shake Toronto, although we do occasionaly got mild tremors here.

PizzaPolice 04-18-2008 10:35 AM

Yep! I happened to be up at the time and first thought it was high winds. Pretty cool.

PizzaJNKY 04-18-2008 02:21 PM

This might be due to the fact I'm used to earthquakes, but I think I would take an earthquake over a tornado any day. "Just stay indoors, stand inbetween the doorjamb and ride it out."

mannextdoor 04-18-2008 08:11 PM

I thought it was a tornado. The whole house shook. Jumped out of bed and looked out the window. NO wind. That’s when I realized it was an EQ. Weird feeling.

Dutchoven 04-18-2008 09:38 PM

Kitchener!
You're from Moe Norman country!
Cool!
Dutch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredo (Post 29957)
Illinois earthquake rattles southern Ontario

Kitchener is about 100kms west and north of Toronto. This one did not shake Toronto, although we do occasionaly got mild tremors here.

Frances 04-19-2008 01:52 AM

I once experienced an earth quake at the beach on a greek island: suddenly the land was rocking up and down and the sea was staying in the same place... weird!