Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dog lovers will understand.........

Sorry man.

Keep your head up.
And like you said, time does heal all wounds......

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Master Builder

RT
The Rainbow Bridge posting is a hard one to follow. We recently had a good friend go through this loss with a dog that was from a litter of our puppies. My wife and I were there when he was born and saw him through the first four months of his like. He helped his owners mother realize how much she loved dogs, was there with her when her husband was sick and consoled here when her husband died...only a few months ago...now he is gone...I guess he gave his heart to them and eventually there was none left. It was like we lost one of ours too. I know what it feels like but, unfortunately there are no good words to say...except...he will always be your best friend.
Best
Dutch

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.
When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'
'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'
The man gestured, and the gate began to open.
'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.
'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'
The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.
After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.
'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'
'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.
'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.
The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog
walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.
'This is Heaven,' he answered.
'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'
'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'
'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'
'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'
Soooo ..
You are all welcome @ my water bowl anytime.....
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks to all for the heartfelt words. I knew from several previous posts that we had a group of folks, like myself, who love their canine companions.
For those who have experienced this, you know I am not exaggerating when I say your feelings rival those from the loss of a close (human) family member. For those dog owners who have yet to experience this, I can only say - its really, really bad; for the record - today was 10 times worse than yesterday. Me working from home as I do 2-3 days a week (when not traveling) and no "little man" following every move I make (he was always at my side whenever I was home), I actually cried like a baby no less than 8 times today (I have only cried 3 other times in my adult life) - I kept looking for him and even caught myself starting to talk to him several times.......but don't let that discourage your enjoyment and the close bonding with your pet. We all know going in that death is part of life's cycle, I wouldn't change a thing from the past 16+ yrs just to avoid the past 2 days.

On the positive side - my wife and I pulled out all of our pictures of Wes pup this evening and even though a lot of tears were shed, we laughed more than we cried. Memories are a crazy thing...wonderful one minute then the next you realize those great memories of those great times are the cause of why you feal so lousy now (in this case, Wesley is gone from this life and our great experiences have ended).....but we have decided against waiting for our next "best friend" and will begin a search tomorrow for a new "little man" to share our lives with. Our original plan was to take a break from pet ownership.
A much deserved vacation (alaskan cruise) has been booked in 4 wks to celebrate our 25th aniversary....not to forget Wesley (he will always be the dearest thing in my life), but to ease the terrible sense of loss we are feeling in every room of the house. I'm usually a cheap bastard when it comes to vacations AND anniversaries.....making this whole experience damn near "life changing".

Again, thanks to everyone for the support.....Special thanks for the "Rainbow Bridge", one of our friends also sent us this......touching, very touching

RT
Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Peasant

RT:
My wife just went out and adopted my current pal. Yes, the guy in the picture above. I would have made myself miserable for a long time if she hadn't.The new guy is the way to go, so enjoy.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks CAM, your not the first to tell me that -"if you love dogs some much", "you have got to get another soon". Its the only way to fill that terrible void that you feel. So, thats our plan...my wife made dozens of call tonight and found a couple of possibilities.....it won't be long, since I gave her the green light yesterday.

RT