Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: does anyone know how to build a glass kiln?

I use AP and Bread both. Depends on what I'm doing. I also like their whole wheat. (one kind of whole wheat comes from one store, one from another. so what I have depends on where I shopped!)

When you say you use 25% ww pastry flour, do you mean in a 100% whole wheat recipe? I've tried using added gluten, and that helped some, more with the montana mills flour (I think because of how it's milled- the bran doesn't cut the strands as much, maybe?)

I've made pasta with the pastry flour. It was a little strange to roll out, but it made great butternut squash ravioli.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Apprentice

ohhhhhh I want to eat at your house....not the other way around I'm afraid.
In Pizza dough I put 25% ww wheat pastry flour to the white flour. I've tried more but it doesn't work. I use Red Brick Mills flour I think. No One else does this that I know of but the result seem to be the best pizza anyone has ever had....so they tell. Probably tastes like dog food but they like the party! I think its awesome, truly Takes little more water to hydrate it. I will probably try the caputo at FB
Berryst.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Master Builder

Berryst,
Thanks for the kind offer (perhaps I'm being presumtpous as I am thinking because of our close proximity you were making the offer to me), however, I am presently sitting with approx. 150 lbs of Montana Wheat's Bronze Chief and Prairie Gold both as wheat berries in 25 lb bags. So at the moment I am about maxed out on storage. But I am curious...what sort of price are they quoting?

Regarding side vs. top heating. It's certainly true that top heating is a good way to go for slumping (check out the Skutt Pinto) however, Skutt also makes a side heater (the Octagon) for fusing which is a side heater. My personal experience is pretty limited but I understand the side heaters require a slower cycle as well as having the piece to be slumped to be placed lower in the kiln. However, side heating (top loading) more easily permits such techniques as combing which are hard to do with a top heater. But if your wife is set upon having a top heater far be it from me to try and change her mind. Most of my friends who work glass either blow glass or do lamp work (beads), Most of the slumping I have seen was done at Pratt. I have done (unfortunately none recently) enamel on tile and glass and they require a long ramp, both up and down. For enamel work on steel I use my specially made furnace where the time is measured with a stopwatch and the heat controlled by a process computer. It is a side loader and is muffled, enamel on steel is a very fast process compared to glass or ceramic.

Bests,
Wiley
Old 10-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Apprentice

Willy
Wheat Montana Farms (google)
Prairie gold $28.26 for 50lb
bronze chief $25.26 for 50lb

Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Master Builder

Berryst,
Thanks for the info on the current price.
Just for reference: In the beginning of May I paid just over $11 for 25lbs by end of May was up to just over $15. That was for either variety. Then Walmart stopped carrying it. That was the Superstore in Poulsbo. I don't know if it was/is a seasonal thing or what. Glad I bought what I did when I did...according to the Montana Wheat website properly stored berries are good for up to eight years! I expect these to be consumed well before then :-)

Wheat took a jump in price but has dropped back or stabilzed...or so it seems.

Wiley