Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Do you make your own Prosciutto?

botulism bad..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Apprentice

Yes.. botulism is bad.

It is also lethal.

What we should no forget however, is that prosciutto (and jambon serrano in Spain) has been made for hundreds, maybe thousands of years with nothing else than pork and sea salt (and time..) If the risk was of botulism poisoning was so high, than people would have stopped doing it a long time ago. Making prosciutto is nothing more or less than a time-honoured method of preserving meat, prior to the existence of fridges and freezers.

Its a bit like the time honoured design of a pizza oven. They are the shape they are, because its been proven to work (over a couple of thousand of years)..

Nitrates / Nitrites being added to the meat, are a recent phenomenon. And yes, they will kill botulism, but then again nitrites have also been shown to be carcinogenic. So it appears the choice is between a very small chance of dying from botulism or otherwise from some unspecified cancer...

Heck.. bring on the real-deal prosciutto.. I could also get run over by a bus tomorrow.

A similar argument has been going on for some time now about the use of raw milk for making cheese. Many countries, including NZ unfortunately, prohibit the use of raw milk for making cheese (commercially). But every country in europe has made cheese that way for hundreds of years, and most of those europeans look pretty healthy to me. Fact is, in Europe, 10 times more people die from salmonella from improperly prepared or cooked chicken than people die from listeria from bad cheese made with raw milk. Yet I don't see them banning chicken..

So to cut a long story short: I put a good deal of faith in food preparation methods that have been around for hundreds of years and waaay less in a bunch of bureacrats that try and decide whats good for me or not.

Coming back to topic:

Fullback66, If you could document the "recipe" and if possible add some pictures etc, that'd be great..

Cheers
Pete in NZ (making his own cheese from raw milk.. buffalo mozzarella is next..)
Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPete View Post
Yes.. botulism is bad.
It is also lethal.
What we should no forget however, is that prosciutto (and jambon serrano in Spain) has been made for hundreds, maybe thousands of years with nothing else than pork and sea salt (and time..)
What we really shouldn't forget is climate control, you can't hang a ham in the tropics no matter how much salt you pack it in.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconGrease View Post
What we really shouldn't forget is climate control, you can't hang a ham in the tropics no matter how much salt you pack it in.
You're absolutely right about that. Temperature and relative humidity need to be within certain bands for the curing process to work correctly.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Apprentice

That is why you do this process in the winter. Nice and cold in the basement room. Once the curing begins and you had it hung for awhile it can warm up a little.
fb66
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Serf

Hi there!

Mr. Fullback, I would also be interested in his ingredients and process...feel free to email me if you can. I would be more than willing to share my bulletproof salami recipe...

Chef4life
Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chef, share now....no secrets!

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Serf

Hahaha,

I WILL share, in time, but I am in need of a friendly exchange with our friend Fullback. If he doesn't come round here anymore, I will share with thte rest of you

Chef
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I see......Fullback, speakup.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I wish I had a cellar to hang a ham in. Maybe that's the next project wine and meat curing cellar.

-