Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Clock Question

Why? I'd say brush then floss... and then rince.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey, isn't George a retired dentist? He'll know for sure.

In the meantime, I say brush THEN floss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yay Ken, I know you had your head screwed on!

I think we need a poll on this...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This has got to be a record for a thread creeping off-topic. We went from clock lubrication to dental floss.

Updated!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

... talking of which, did you know that the only way to clean large amounts of corrector fluid off a wood floor is with nail varnish remover? True.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Master Builder

Not sure about using nail varnish remover. You need to be quite careful because I bet that it would take off any sealer(urethane) that you had laid on it. In one house we just stained the wood and then 2x a year used carnuba wax on it.

Yep this thread is definately hijacked but hey it is in chit-cahat so it is all good
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM

As long as you aren't starting your WFO fire with nail varnish remover...
Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengineer View Post
Yep this thread is definately hijacked but hey it is in chit-cahat so it is all good
Sorry. But enquiring minds want to know!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Clock Question

Dmun

as per usual, I had a close look inside the clock movement and checked out the hammers and mechanism used to control them. I didn't detect any attempt to allow them to strike, ie no movement at all and no bar stopping them from striking. The other hammers would strike the Westminster in the quarter hour, so if the 'silent' lever was in place, Which incidentally we never use, then these would not work also.
Anyway, it is in the hands of a person who has been maintaining it for the past 20 years and I guess I am at his mercy. I only ever give anyone one chance to screw me and it will be his last if he tries. He has put up a realistic explanation and nothing lasts forever. 30 years is fair to expect.
A replacement mechanism that he showed me was around 1/3 the original size an so I am going with a rebuild. As you said previously, good quality tools and equipment will give you better longer and more reliable service than the cheap equivalent.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dmun - you nailed it. 5 hammers. German made - my ex's in-laws gave it to us as a present while he was workin near Frankfort with the US Gov.

Beautiful sound when it worked. Seems silly that it didn't have any name on the face.

I'll tinker with it perhaps. Probably won't pay to have it fixed.

My brother got the antique family clock after mom and dad passed. It's a really cool one with a dome over the top. I think you'd appreciate it. I'll see if I can get him to take a pic of it. I've never seen one like it.

-