Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Cat problem...

Renardine - A Tried And Trusted Cat Repellant

this is good cat repellent and humane to boot.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This is a touchy subject for me, but I'm not going to be shy.

First, I am very much an animal lover and don't advocate harming or killing unless we are talking about a real safety issue. The problem is clearly with the owner, sorry all cat lovers, your cats should not be roaming free...PERIOD!
Don't even try to hide behind things like "it is there nature, they need to roam and hunt", that is complete nonsense. Roaming cats do all of the things listed above AND cause much of the growing ferrel cat problems in most areas. Ferrel cats are much more than a minor nuisance. A real family pet is not something you turn loose on the neighborhood, be it a cat, dog, macaw, or boa constrictor. The particular breed of dog that I own was specifically breed to hunt vermin (rats, mice, gophers), but I would not dream of turning them loose in the neighborhood. My neighbors don't deserve it and I care too much about my dogs' well being to do such a thing. I have handled rats, snakes, mice in other ways - never involving my dogs, nor would I turn cats loose in an urban setting. If you are in a rural setting (farm) things would be different, but if you have neighbors close by, be a responsible neighbor and pet owner - keep them under control.

Frances, you are obviously a very nice person and probably don't want to ruffle the feathers of a neighbor, but remember - you and your family work hard for you home and the things that you have. You don't deserve nuisance cats, dogs, or whatever other animals your neighbors have, damaging or defacating on your property. Go to this neighbor, politely explain what is happening and that due to health concerns, they must control their cats. If that does not work, try animal control or a trapper and have the cats taken to a shelter or rescue that will place them with a responsible owner, or at the very least they can contact the owner and explain they were caught on a nuisance call within the area - giving them the opportunity to get their cats back...but they may not be so lucky the next time.

I really wonder why pets (mainly dogs) have to be licensed - It is the OWNERS that need a license (after passing a test of proper care and responsibilty). Sorry, another hot topic for me. I hope you find a solution...really, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

RT
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Serf

citronella oil works well. doesn't harm any wildlife and cats cant stand the smell. chilli powder works too, but a little more distressing to the cat when it licks it off its paws
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Serf

I'm not real shy either ,

I hate cats . PERIOD !
We own 2 x cats , wife's thing , not mine .
Cats seem to kill all small things , ........... just for the fun in it .
Let your neigbhour know that you love the small animals / birds within your yard and that you are trying to do the right thing buy giving him a heads up ............. that his cats will disapper .
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

A slight variation on the trap method is to give the cat a good squirt with some disinfectant. Make abit of noise too and give the cage a kick to frighten the cat then open the door of the cage. The cat will will exit like lightning. Then all you have to do is spray alittle disinfectant around your garden occasionally.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Journeyman

cats taste like raccoon or so im told. invite some folks witu exotic taste and have a party.

ONLY KIDDING, couldnt help it, sorry.

My 44" oven in progress...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Laborer

They make motion activated sprinklers that you can set in your yard, that will fire off a generally harmless, but suprising squirt of water when an animal enters the area. You can rotate them around the yard to discourage learning patterns. Just search for motion activated sprinkler in your favorite search engine. May even work on geese.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The sprinklers could deter all sorts of pests. The other day a German Shepherd walked over my front lawn and did a huge dump. He came back yesterday and did exactly the same thing, only this time he brought his dog with him.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Funny, didn't see that one coming!

My huband tried the water method one Summer evening last year when we were having dinner outside. Threw a plastic jug full of water at a passing cat.

Only the handle twisted off, water all over both of us, the table, the food, everything but the cat basically. Which just sat there looking at us with a mildly curious expression on its face.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh RT, this might interest you... they're talking about introducing madatory training for anyone who wants to get a dog in Switzerland. Not cat owners though. But it sounds like quite a good idea.